Helix pink/purple coraline algae in a bottle

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the helix coraline algae in a bottle? I’m strongly considering snagging a bottle of the pink. The reason I’m asking is because coraline algae is growing like wildfire in my tank but like 90 percent of it is green coraline and it looks like **** in my opinion. I’ve looked up the coralife purple tech and the Red Sea coraline growth accelerator and I’ve heard bad things about them but somewhat good things about the helix. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. Thanks for looking.
FBE29AC5-C0A0-43FB-91BB-6D05CA98E9F5.jpeg
FBE29AC5-C0A0-43FB-91BB-6D05CA98E9F5.jpeg

beebes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one bottle pink, one bottle purple right after cycling a 10 gallon tank. Every inch of rock, my magnet scraper, return nozzle and other places were completely coated in pink and purple coralline within 6 months. No dosing and infrequent water changes. Not many stony corals in the tank at the time, so I believe the coralline was able to grow to its fullest.

Just used 4 bottles in my new tank last week.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help with the bottled coraline but I see the seawater with a hose going to it. Are you topping off with that or just using the container?
EDIT: disregard I see RODI now. I have new glasses coming lol
Yeah it’s rodi water. I just made my own reservoir. I am sorry. I just can’t justify spending $150 on a plastic box because you put a fancy name on it such as “acrylic ATO reservoir”

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline can be many different colors but eventually it seems the purple color outcompetes the others. You can add bottle stuff or get a snail or frag with purple on it and scrape some flakes into the tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s rodi water. I just made my own reservoir. I am sorry. I just can’t justify spending $150 on a plastic box because you put a fancy name on it such as “acrylic ATO reservoir”
8 gallon Sterilite trash cans work too -- for about $12

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline can be many different colors but eventually it seems the purple color outcompetes the others. You can add bottle stuff or get a snail or frag with purple on it and scrape some flakes into the tank

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm super appreciative of this post.... I've been wondering the same thing for the longest but haven't gotten around to asking. Double thanks to all the informative responses!!

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that I already have a bunch of purple rock in my tank. I have purple/pink/green coraline already growing on the back wall of my tank. My problem is that 90% of all the coraline is green and I think it looks like $H!T

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gallon jugs on one tank and rotate them out so your a step up from my operation. I won't spend the money for a fancy acrylic container either.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying coraline in a bottle is a complete waste of cash. It will come on its own from just about anything you add from another system. If your Alk/Ca/Mag are in range, it will grow. That's all you need.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that I already have a bunch of purple rock in my tank. I have purple/pink/green coraline already growing on the back wall of my tank. My problem is that 90% of all the coraline is green and I think it looks like $H!T
Are you sure it's green coralline? My rocks are brown, green, purple and white but only the purple is coralline.

Have you tried to brush the green off? How old is your tank?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The reason I’m asking is because coraline algae is growing like wildfire in my tank but like 90 percent of it is green coraline and it looks like **** in my opinion."

This made me laugh. My tank has mostly green coralline and I feel the same way. Your's is actually not that bad. I have the dark doo-doo green variety.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's green coralline? My rocks are brown, green, purple and white but only the purple is coralline.

Have you tried to brush the green off? How old is your tank?
Tank is almost a year old and it’s DEFINITELY coraline. I can take my fingernail and pick a piece off if I go really hard but you are NOT brushing it off lol.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The reason I’m asking is because coraline algae is growing like wildfire in my tank but like 90 percent of it is green coraline and it looks like **** in my opinion."

This made me laugh. My tank has mostly green coralline and I feel the same way. Your's is actually not that bad. I have the dark doo-doo green variety.
It’s tough to see other tanks with BEAUTIFUL pink and purple coraline all over everything and mine is just green lol

Back