HELLE or bacterial?

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this, this morning. The red line on his fin has actually gotten better since yesterday. At first I was thinking ammonia burn, not sure why but it was my first thought. Large water change done already, another coming tomorrow. Was thinking HELLE,
Tank is fed three times a day, morning with PE marine flake, mid day a mix of shredded nori, brine and mysis shrimp, at night brine, mysis and whole krill.
Tank is going through a decently bad cyano problem and is getting dosed with vibrant. Dose brightwell carbon every night as well as run reef spec carbon in sump that got changed last night. Dosed no³:po⁴-x for a short period of time roughly 2 months ago.
I haven't done a full test of parameters but what I have done is
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78
Nitrates: 5
Ammonia: 0
I'll try to get the rest of the parameters tonight once my fiancee gets home. He put the tests somewhere and I can't seem to find them now..

Rest of the fish are completely fine, purple tang looks completely fine as well. Yellow is still eating like a pig and begging.
Snapchat-982071197.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not HLLE, it would be bacteria related. If it is getting better on its own I would just continue to feed the fish a healthy diet, maintain pristine water and add some vitamin supplements to food such as selcon, vitachem, etc.

Do you feed Nori on a regular basis (other than the shredded feeding), by keeping some available on an algae clip or banded to a rock for 3/4 of your photo period?

Tangs are grazers and have a very high metabolism and need the availability throughout the day.

If the redness increases or becomes an open sore then you would want to move the fish to QT and treat with antibiotics.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not HLLE, it would be bacteria related. If it is getting better on its own I would just continue to feed the fish a healthy diet, maintain pristine water and add some vitamin supplements to food such as selcon, vitachem, etc.

Do you feed Nori on a regular basis?

If the redness increases or becomes an open sore then you would want to move the fish to QT and treat with antibiotics.
We have vitamins so I'll start that for their mid day feeding, I forgot to add that they have 2 clips of nori and a rubber band on a rock, might be overkill but all my fish end up eating it and/or throwing it all over the tank. The rubber band is their "home base" one. The tangs will go up to the clips but tend to prefer the rocks. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also told by a friend who's been doing this a lot longer than I have, as well as has his own store that if it starts to get any worse / doesn't improve to do bifuran dips. But I will move him into QT if it gets any worse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure water is clean, reduce salinity to about 1.022-10.23 and treat with the following (not all of these):
  • Kanamycin (ex. Seachem Kanaplex)
  • Furan-2
  • Nitrofuracin Green Powder (Great for treating “red sores” )
  • Erythromycin & Minocycline combination (ex. Maracyn 1 & 2). If you are confident it is just a gram positive infection, then API E.M. Erythromycin is a good choice.
furan-2 would be my pick

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure water is clean, reduce salinity to about 1.022-10.23 and treat with the following (not all of these):
  • Kanamycin (ex. Seachem Kanaplex)
  • Furan-2
  • Nitrofuracin Green Powder (Great for treating “red sores” )
  • Erythromycin & Minocycline combination (ex. Maracyn 1 & 2). If you are confident it is just a gram positive infection, then API E.M. Erythromycin is a good choice.
furan-2 would be my pick
Thank you! I'll be watching him fairly closely to make sure nothing happens. Thanks for all the help guys!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back