Welcome to R2R! Your tank is gorgeous! :star-struck:

good bye hello GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and nice to meet you at last! I have been shopping around in marketplace and chatting with a few of you in various posts, including my own, and I am glad that a few of you reached out and asked me to share some photos.

i’ve been obsessively stocking this tank with the fervor of a full on addict, just under a year into reefing and The learning curve has been humbling!!

Love the ReefGeekSpeak here (maybe I need to change my user name to this)…I am so at home amongst you and could chat it up all day when it comes to all things Fish and Coral. i’ve sometimes learn the hard way but always ask for help when needed… and have needed plenty!

Anyway, here’s my shout out! Ive got a 56g LPS going and I’m starting up a scoly cube. so glad to be here! Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

-Hillary

37218720-500A-4D2E-802A-46E347031D86.jpeg 45FA7386-B32F-47BA-A438-24A1E390C484.jpeg 33DC4858-890C-47D7-9E7E-F2EE7019AB7C.jpeg C7AE69BB-DF55-41A7-86FF-4864331F00B3.jpeg

Hi Hillary and Welcome! I'm Lisa. Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Entirely up to you, but I'd suggest taking those already gorgeous photos and info you've collected above and copy them from Forum > Meet and Greet over to Forum > Member Aquariums to start your build thread. Your photos are AMAZING!!!!! Love your eye for color!!!

This might help you find people local to you in Monterey:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and nice to meet you at last! I have been shopping around in marketplace and chatting with a few of you in various posts, including my own, and I am glad that a few of you reached out and asked me to share some photos.

i’ve been obsessively stocking this tank with the fervor of a full on addict, just under a year into reefing and The learning curve has been humbling!!

Love the ReefGeekSpeak here (maybe I need to change my user name to this)…I am so at home amongst you and could chat it up all day when it comes to all things Fish and Coral. i’ve sometimes learn the hard way but always ask for help when needed… and have needed plenty!

Anyway, here’s my shout out! Ive got a 56g LPS going and I’m starting up a scoly cube. so glad to be here! Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

-Hillary

37218720-500A-4D2E-802A-46E347031D86.jpeg 45FA7386-B32F-47BA-A438-24A1E390C484.jpeg 33DC4858-890C-47D7-9E7E-F2EE7019AB7C.jpeg C7AE69BB-DF55-41A7-86FF-4864331F00B3.jpeg
Beautiful tank. May i ask what kinda of lighting you use and what the par is at the bottom.

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank. May i ask what kinda of lighting you use and what the par is at the bottom.
Thank you! I have T5 s that I don’t use… I find them to be obnoxiously bright and I don’t like that they don’t have a dimmer switch! Will figure out what my blues are, I had somebody else do my lighting set up. Truth is I wish I had gone with the kessel AP9X set up that I have on my smaller tank. My installer had no idea how fanatical I would be and went with a lesser set up. Will send you more info when I have it, I need to find the boxes!
I have not done para readings but suspect that I am likely around 100 on the bottom and 150 to 200 at the top?

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK grabbed these from my BRS receipts. Not sure this accounts for my full set up, my ignorance is showing! I was very lucky to have somebody help me put my system together… though I wish I had done it myself in retrospect. I would’ve made so many different choices. At the time I had no clue, didn’t know what BRS stood for or meant, had had saltwater tanks in the past but may be a few of you will remember the days of wet/dry‘s and under gravel filter‘s, That is how old my knowledge was (
At first I thought I would do a FOWLER tank, then realized that I was probably really missing out on a whole lot of magic so decided to go with the reef! I took over once it was time to stock it. I lean in for help with large water changes but I am otherwise quickly becoming as educated as I can. I have relied heavily on these forums in order to learn. So thank you R2R maestros for letting me know what’s what! Some of you guys really crack me up, lots of opinions, lots of knowledge. I take what works for me and hope for the best… with mix success So far.

All of that said about the lighting. I do a 10 hour stretch, full blue… and growth is only just now getting going.

OP
OP
Hillpag

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super nice stuff. Excited to see a build thread on this one.
Hey thank you! I will piece one together for you, take a few shots of the gear and get you dialed in on it. I have replaced some equipment along the way (dangit on that noisy junky Neptune auto fill. Went with Tunze to replace it and haven’t looked back. Best piece of gear I purchased has to be that OCTO skimmer…. I feel like I could use a lot of help on building up my fuge and hammering out some details!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back