Hello a newbie - ich, bubble eye and something else?

saltyaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that post title was supposed to be HELP a newbie...

OK, big lessons learnt and things are a little pear-shaped...

I've been away for a week, returned and my Coral Beauty is in trouble.

Pics attached. She looks like she might have itch and one eye has bubble eye.

My bristle nose tang had a white patch on his fin two weeks ago, took pics to me LFS and was told they thought he's damaged it on something and that it should heal. It's not a lot worse but now appears 'fluffy'.

Other tank mates are two clowns, two fire gobys and one foxface. Everyone else looks OK. Tank is five months old.

I had added melafix two weeks ago to try and preempt any issues with the Tang's fin but it just sent my skimmer nuts and my inverts were not looking happy - all headed for the top of the tank. Stopped the melafix and returned the carbon and things came back to normal a few water changes later.

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph all normal.

BIG lesson learnt. I think my research was too focused on tank set up, cycle and stocking - I just didn't come across much about the importance of QT and no mention from my LFS when setting up. NOW I know it's a no brainer... feel so bad.

I'm on my way now to get a three foot QT. I've been running a small internal sponge filter in my sump for 24 hrs. Plan on adding that, some live rock and a bio block or two from my sump as well as getting a hang on filter for the QT. I've got a spare heater and air pump from an old tank.

Looking for how to best approach this. Everyone straight to the QT or Coral in first for a stronger treatment then bring in everyone else. I think I know the answer now is to fallow the DT for 76 days and start again?

Appreciate any tips!

IMG_0116.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg
IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add fish to qt slowly. Allow the filtration to adjust. Go with a triage method where the patient in most need gets the first help. As for meds someone else will most likely chime in to help. I made the same mistake and battled ich for months. Good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Beauty has a moderate case of ich, you need to treat that in a QT with copper ASAP. I'm surprised that the other fish aren't showing symptoms yet, but they will all need to be treated at some point. Even if they don't break with full symptoms, if you leave them in your DT, you will always run the risk of having them come up with this later on.

For the QT - starting these up fast is always a trick. Do you have any filter sponges or something in your DT that you can use to transfer bacteria to your QT? If not, then you'll need to supplement with live bacteria, like Dr.Tim's product.

I think the lesion on the tang's fin will need to wait until you get the ich under control.

Jay

OP
OP
S

saltyaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Beauty has a moderate case of ich, you need to treat that in a QT with copper ASAP. I'm surprised that the other fish aren't showing symptoms yet, but they will all need to be treated at some point. Even if they don't break with full symptoms, if you leave them in your DT, you will always run the risk of having them come up with this later on.

For the QT - starting these up fast is always a trick. Do you have any filter sponges or something in your DT that you can use to transfer bacteria to your QT? If not, then you'll need to supplement with live bacteria, like Dr.Tim's product.

I think the lesion on the tang's fin will need to wait until you get the ich under control.

Jay
Thanks Jay!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back