Hello all! From the East Sussex in the UK

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I lost a clown the same way. It went to war with the water change tube every week until it lost by getting jammed in it while I was distracted checking a snail for signs of life.
Hang in there. I’m new too. Just started in March, but the education has been a pleasant challenge.
Everyone has been very helpful here and I hope you have a similar experience.
Just keep swimming!
Thank you! Don't want this to sound wrong, but I am glad this crazy stuff doesn't happen to just me, as I do everything to make sure not only my fish, but other fur babies are cared for and spoilt. When this happened I was heartbroken, literally took 2 seconds with my eye off the pipe, so I understand how it happened to you, but he is still swimming, seems ok, but I know it can take a few weeks to really know. Treating him with Melafix and fingers crossed. Order a bunch of different gravel cleaners too lol. And thank you again :)

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Hope your fish is recovering from its tube ride. Fish do the silliest of things

Defer to others as I don't keep any treatments on hand - been lucky all fish healthy and I put them in a little 5 gallon QT tank for observation before they go into my main tank so when that time comes, I'll turn the quarantine tank into a hospital tank (HT).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type article, if you haven't yet found it:
Silly Clown is still swimming, I do feel a bit ill at the thought he might pass away in time to come, had a goldfish in my bigger tank that got stuck for what I think was an hour and two weeks later she died. I've ordered a bunch of different gravel cleaners for the next water change! All I keep thinking is I have heard clownfish are very hardy and then you have finding nemo where he was doing all sorts ... don’t worry, I haven't taken that film as fact haha.

I am thinking in time if I move up to a bigger reef tank, that the Fluval Evo could be a QT/HT as it would be set up and a perfect size, I am hoping right this minute I can get away without a QT/HT as I won't be adding any more fish, but coral, which really sorry for a stupid question, would you QT coral?

I have seen about the build thread, I should give it ago as I have started out with the 13.5 gallon tank, remember when I was thinking about it three months back, I was searching high and low for people who had the same tank, be good to help others, even if it is not at a wow stage yet, come Xmas, I can get my corals, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the link! I'll have a read and thanks for the help :)

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

EF4371A6-86A4-491B-8782-CA293352FA34.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly Clown is still swimming, I do feel a bit ill at the thought he might pass away in time to come, had a goldfish in my bigger tank that got stuck for what I think was an hour and two weeks later she died. I've ordered a bunch of different gravel cleaners for the next water change! All I keep thinking is I have heard clownfish are very hardy and then you have finding nemo where he was doing all sorts ... don’t worry, I haven't taken that film as fact haha.

I am thinking in time if I move up to a bigger reef tank, that the Fluval Evo could be a QT/HT as it would be set up and a perfect size, I am hoping right this minute I can get away without a QT/HT as I won't be adding any more fish, but coral, which really sorry for a stupid question, would you QT coral?

I have seen about the build thread, I should give it ago as I have started out with the 13.5 gallon tank, remember when I was thinking about it three months back, I was searching high and low for people who had the same tank, be good to help others, even if it is not at a wow stage yet, come Xmas, I can get my corals, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the link! I'll have a read and thanks for the help :)

Corals can introduce all sorts of nasties just like introducing fish. We've fought those off and increased/improved our coral dip process to be multiple steps with different product types (BRS has a good 'best of' video that discusses different dip types), but yes the better approach is multiple dip and then QT corals before going into main tank. No, I don't (yet). I also don't have the pesticide type dip (Bayer) but that isn't on the video, but really I should. My little QT tank needs better lighting to support corals and I need to leave it up longer as corals don't like parameter swings. (My QT lives under desk when not actively in use (then it lives on shelf when something lives inside QT)

Like everything in hobby, there are many ways to do (or NOT do) something.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can introduce all sorts of nasties just like introducing fish. We've fought those off and increased/improved our coral dip process to be multiple steps with different product types (BRS has a good 'best of' video that discusses different dip types), but yes the better approach is multiple dip and then QT corals before going into main tank. No, I don't (yet). I also don't have the pesticide type dip (Bayer) but that isn't on the video, but really I should. My little QT tank needs better lighting to support corals and I need to leave it up longer as corals don't like parameter swings. (My QT lives under desk when not actively in use (then it lives on shelf when something lives inside QT)

Like everything in hobby, there are many ways to do (or NOT do) something.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player
Yes, I did watch all of the 5 minute video guides from BFS :) and have reverted back to them now and again, but I will need to re-watch about dipping. Over here in the UK, not sure if it is just my area or not, but when I have asked about coral, it's all about the different types and when your tank has gone pasted the 4month stage of no light and then you have slowly built up the light in the tank, it about shoving it into your tank.
Never felt comfortable asking them about dipping, this is where my anxiety creeps in and I fear if I ask about it, I am being offensive over their corals ... you can laugh! And secondly, I just worry they would brush me off, saying they are perfectly fine. Why it's been good to get advise from people who have successful tanks and not doing this as a business, if that makes sense?
But thank you, I will look into the QT side of things too, might be easier if I turn this one into a QT and buy a bigger tank haha :D

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did watch all of the 5 minute video guides from BFS :) and have reverted back to them now and again, but I will need to re-watch about dipping. Over here in the UK, not sure if it is just my area or not, but when I have asked about coral, it's all about the different types and when your tank has gone pasted the 4month stage of no light and then you have slowly built up the light in the tank, it about shoving it into your tank.
Never felt comfortable asking them about dipping, this is where my anxiety creeps in and I fear if I ask about it, I am being offensive over their corals ... you can laugh! And secondly, I just worry they would brush me off, saying they are perfectly fine. Why it's been good to get advise from people who have successful tanks and not doing this as a business, if that makes sense?
But thank you, I will look into the QT side of things too, might be easier if I turn this one into a QT and buy a bigger tank haha :D

One thing I've learned, is everything is fine... right up until it isn't... SO all those many people giving advice are typically basing it on their experiences up-to-that-point and then you don't hear what happens (later) after the acropora eating bugs or X or Y or Z wiped out A or B or C...

Honestly, can't say my tank is that successful, and I attribute that to early lapses in QT processes ... can say I have learned a LOT because of being dumb (lacking knowledge & processes) in the beginning... but it would have been cheaper and less stressful if I didn't have those experiences - I'd even settle for a run of dumb luck <wink>

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new to R2R and also new to saltwater too. I’ve got four other freshwater tanks and have them figured out, but am still learning with saltwater. Currently have in my tank two common clownfish, one pyjama cardinal, purple firefish, two hermit crabs and turbo snails.
I’ve got the Fluval Evo as a starter, it’s been up and running for just over three months. If I like, I’ll go bigger! But as fish are meant to be therapeutic for my anxiety, saltwater is causing me a little anxiety like when my clownfish decided to go up the cleaning tube and gets stuck … hoping he’ll be fine he is out of the tube! I do worry over everything as I want to succeed and when the time comes, I might need help when it’s time for coral though.
One question I would like to ask, what sort of treatments are a must have to hand? I have found with freshwater melafix is the go to and fixes a lot, so I do have that, is there anything that would be recommend (and hope the U.K. has it as we are running out of everything ‍♀️)?
Sorry for the long hello, mid-message panic and help, but thank you ☺️
Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've learned, is everything is fine... right up until it isn't... SO all those many people giving advice are typically basing it on their experiences up-to-that-point and then you don't hear what happens (later) after the acropora eating bugs or X or Y or Z wiped out A or B or C...

Honestly, can't say my tank is that successful, and I attribute that to early lapses in QT processes ... can say I have learned a LOT because of being dumb (lacking knowledge & processes) in the beginning... but it would have been cheaper and less stressful if I didn't have those experiences - I'd even settle for a run of dumb luck <wink>
I am grateful for the advise you have given, you're more successful than me :p the whole bug front scares me, why I want to do everything possible not to wake up one morning and have a break out of something scary. Plus, I hate seeing a fish suffer, just like anyone out there, unless it's my mother and she won't listen to me!

But I am grateful for your help, I might be full of dumb questions in the months to come! I might have to make a post asking for help choosing corals and where should they go, when it comes to plants for freshwater, no problem, corals, ek! Where do I start haha.

Venomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, fellow sussex reefer, im in sunny bognor, relatively new to the site but been doing this salty chaos thing for years, this forum is a wealth of knowledge and the friendliness and welcoming of everyone, wont fi d a better forum or better bunch of people.
We are all mad here but figured that helps and yes it will give you anxiety but the rewards far outweigh the negatives, relax, enjoy and ask away. Keep smiling happy reefer

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, fellow sussex reefer, im in sunny bognor, relatively new to the site but been doing this salty chaos thing for years, this forum is a wealth of knowledge and the friendliness and welcoming of everyone, wont fi d a better forum or better bunch of people.
We are all mad here but figured that helps and yes it will give you anxiety but the rewards far outweigh the negatives, relax, enjoy and ask away. Keep smiling happy reefer
Oh wow! Almost down the road from me ... ish. What tank etc do you have?
Well I sufferer from anxiety, but I find the tanks are calming, relaxing, I like the maintenance side and when it comes to my freshwater, growing new plants, all that stuff, gives me a focus, then when something goes wrong, I feel like I go wrong and panic and I am great at overthinking >.< ... I think it is getting it into a stable place and finding the right balance, but I will still worry over something or someone. I tend to have a few favourites in each tank lol.

Venomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Almost down the road from me ... ish. What tank etc do you have?
Well I sufferer from anxiety, but I find the tanks are calming, relaxing, I like the maintenance side and when it comes to my freshwater, growing new plants, all that stuff, gives me a focus, then when something goes wrong, I feel like I go wrong and panic and I am great at overthinking >.< ... I think it is getting it into a stable place and finding the right balance, but I will still worry over something or someone. I tend to have a few favourites in each tank lol.
I have a large predator tank, bamboo shark, dragon wrasse, lions, its the second stage grow out tank before the monster penisula room divider goes in, broke down my mini reef to focus on these little buggers (bamboo shark needs hand feeding and dragon wrasse just wrecks everything at least twice a day). But i love it

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large predator tank, bamboo shark, dragon wrasse, lions, its the second stage grow out tank before the monster penisula room divider goes in, broke down my mini reef to focus on these little buggers (bamboo shark needs hand feeding and dragon wrasse just wrecks everything at least twice a day). But i love it
Oh wow! Sounds so pretty! I spotted a dragon wrasse for the first time the other week, just love that face, reminds me of an old mask, but was told they change colour over time? But wrecks everything haha bless

Back