Hello all, I'm new! My name is Darin and this is my 3rd tank, but its saltwater :)

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Hope everyone is doing well in this crazy world we live in right now.

This will be my 3rd tank in the hobby, but it's the first try at a reef saltwater build. Ever since I started (5yrs ago w/10gal betta) I've been wanting Clownfish a few corals and a thriving ecosystem in my home. Since my career is a computer desk job and I'm not allowed to be in the office as of now due to the pandemic, I built my own desk with a 20gal long aquarium in mind. So far I'm loving it and it fits perfectly! I modified some of the tank putting in a three-chamber filtration system, which leaves roughly 16.75gal of living space for the inhabitants. I filled the tank last Friday(2/19/21) and have about 20lbs of dry rock and 3lb of live rock in the tank currently. I've also threw in a singular cocktail shrimp to help feed the live rock inhabitants the day after I filled the tank. I have plastic mesh netting that I'm going to build a wooden lid for the tank with to match the desk and I have an AI prime in the mail/w flexible arm. I know I've got a long way to go before I can add fish or corals, but I thought I'd post here and introduce myself. I have a few questions already that I did not study/see or have in my notes that didn't come up until I was actually starting that I hope you can give good advice or answer. Below is a rundown of my setup

Filtration System (top to bottom)
Input 1st Chamber -
  • Dry Rock piece to keep the foam down
  • Medium Foam(1in.)
  • Course Foam(1in.)
  • Fine Foam(1in.)
  • Biomedia very porous rock
bottom entry to 2nd Chamber -
  • Heater (Aqueon Pro100)
top entry / Output to 3rd Chamber -
  • Small Pulaco Submersible Water Pump
My ideal livestock
2 Clownfish
Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
Blenny? Maybe to sift the sand bit - need suggestions *Question 1*
Later on down the road Mandarin Dragonet(when I know my copepod population is booming)

Clean up crew suggestions, please? *Question 2*

Should I be seeing critters come after this shrimp or *Question 3*

Should I pick up Dr.Tims anyway or wait/don't *Question 4*

Please don't hesitate to ask questions I have not presented!!

!! Sexy tank pics !!

(my view from my desk, the window will be closed the majority of the time)
img_4524-jpg.2044959

(Top View)
IMG_4523.jpg

(Filter View)
IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

looking good. I have started my last 3 tanks with 100% live rock and I have used bacteria in a bottle in all of them. In my opinion it helps with the cycle.

For a clean up crew wait until cycle is complete. It would then reach out to reefcleaners.com and John can give you a good recommendation on the crew for your tank.

I would not expect to see critters on the shrimp.
I like the scape. When you say window will be closed are you saying closed as in blocking the natural light? Strong natural light will grow algae really well:)

GardenReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy your new "desk" :) R2R is a great place to learn and chat about the salty side.

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

looking good. I have started my last 3 tanks with 100% live rock and I have used bacteria in a bottle in all of them. In my opinion it helps with the cycle.

For a clean up crew wait until cycle is complete. It would then reach out to reefcleaners.com and John can give you a good recommendation on the crew for your tank.

I would not expect to see critters on the shrimp.
I like the scape. When you say window will be closed are you saying closed as in blocking the natural light? Strong natural light will grow algae really well:)

Thank you!

Yeah, I've heard people actually seeing critters out of their live rock. I'll pick up some Dr.Tims then :)

The window will be open until I get my AI prime mounted to really kick up the cycling process speed.

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did turning 20L into an all in one with an overflow very nice.
Thank you! it was quite easy, just need a power saw and black plexi sheet off amazon. Also, you need to know the basic understanding of water flow, which is pretty self explanatory

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Hope everyone is doing well in this crazy world we live in right now.

This will be my 3rd tank in the hobby, but it's the first try at a reef saltwater build. Ever since I started (5yrs ago w/10gal betta) I've been wanting Clownfish a few corals and a thriving ecosystem in my home. Since my career is a computer desk job and I'm not allowed to be in the office as of now due to the pandemic, I built my own desk with a 20gal long aquarium in mind. So far I'm loving it and it fits perfectly! I modified some of the tank putting in a three-chamber filtration system, which leaves roughly 16.75gal of living space for the inhabitants. I filled the tank last Friday(2/19/21) and have about 20lbs of dry rock and 3lb of live rock in the tank currently. I've also threw in a singular cocktail shrimp to help feed the live rock inhabitants the day after I filled the tank. I have plastic mesh netting that I'm going to build a wooden lid for the tank with to match the desk and I have an AI prime in the mail/w flexible arm. I know I've got a long way to go before I can add fish or corals, but I thought I'd post here and introduce myself. I have a few questions already that I did not study/see or have in my notes that didn't come up until I was actually starting that I hope you can give good advice or answer. Below is a rundown of my setup

Filtration System (top to bottom)
Input 1st Chamber -
  • Dry Rock piece to keep the foam down
  • Medium Foam(1in.)
  • Course Foam(1in.)
  • Fine Foam(1in.)
  • Biomedia very porous rock
bottom entry to 2nd Chamber -
  • Heater (Aqueon Pro100)
top entry / Output to 3rd Chamber -
  • Small Pulaco Submersible Water Pump
My ideal livestock
2 Clownfish
Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
Blenny? Maybe to sift the sand bit - need suggestions *Question 1*
Later on down the road Mandarin Dragonet(when I know my copepod population is booming)

Clean up crew suggestions, please? *Question 2*

Should I be seeing critters come after this shrimp or *Question 3*

Should I pick up Dr.Tims anyway or wait/don't *Question 4*

Please don't hesitate to ask questions I have not presented!!

!! Sexy tank pics !!

(my view from my desk, the window will be closed the majority of the time)
img_4524-jpg.2044959

(Top View)
IMG_4523.jpg

(Filter View)
IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg
Welcome.

You never said where are you from. ;)
Wait with the Clean Up Crew - your aquarium is sterile nothing to eat. Start with hermits after a few weeks.
Dr Tims doesn't hurt - The nitrogen cycle set up with it in a day or two. If you put it in your 2 Clownfish can move in next week
Corals will need lights - order it now turn it on in 1-2 month from now.

Enjoy and learn.
and get that peace of live rock, you won't regret it.

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

You never said where are you from. ;)
Wait with the Clean Up Crew - your aquarium is sterile nothing to eat. Start with hermits after a few weeks.
Dr Tims doesn't hurt - The nitrogen cycle set up with it in a day or two. If you put it in your 2 Clownfish can move in next week
Corals will need lights - order it now turn it on in 1-2 month from now.

Enjoy and learn.
and get that peace of live rock, you won't regret it.
I'm from Indiana. Landlocked US state :-/

Back