Hello all! started up my new tank last month.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I tested 0 last week for Ammonia and today was higher? Retested and 0. My main question is want to do a 4-6week (if lucky) quarantine for my first fish. If I let my display tank set for a month do I need to re-cycle

Dose or phantom feed?

The bacteria in your dt (once established) are pretty hardy. It doesn't matter if you dose ammonia or lightly ghost feed the tank. Either way, it will stay cycled. Drop a couple of pieces of ceramic media in the dt now maybe. If it's in there for a few weeks before your qt is set up, it may get cycled enough to be a benefit to your QT tank. Just remember, once it goes into the QT, never put it back in the DT.

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in your dt (once established) are pretty hardy. It doesn't matter if you dose ammonia or lightly ghost feed the tank. Either way, it will stay cycled. Drop a couple of pieces of ceramic media in the dt now maybe. If it's in there for a few weeks before your qt is set up, it may get cycled enough to be a benefit to your QT tank. Just remember, once it goes into the QT, never put it back in the DT.
Thanks

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question... my old tanks a ran all if my drains into a media filter. My new tank/sump has one sock and one cup. My sump is collecting small bits of sand (new tank). I dont want detritus building up when I load the tank. I am not a fan of changing socks every 2 days. Should I order an extra cup and just fill with media?

20190904_160557.jpg 20190904_160011.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! started up my new tank last month. I had a 90 galon fish/liverock/softy tank about 5 years ago (couldn't take with us). Now we are settled into our new home and jumping back in. Setup: RedSea Reefer 250, dead/dry rock, RedSea 90 LED (x2), IceCap Gyer 3K, (haven't picked skimmer yet). I am currently cycling tank and need some help. Rock was in separate tub for one month with dead shrimp(s) and Dr Tim's. Added to tank later.
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2

Wk 1: Ammonia 3ppm, nothing else
Wk 2: Ammonia 2.5ppm Nitrite .5
Wk 3: Ammonia 1.25 Nitrite 5+ (Nitrate 20ppm)
Wk 3.5: Ammonia <.25 Nitrite 5+ (Nitrate 20ppm)
Wk 4: Ammonia 0ppm after 5/min .25/20min
Nitrate 0 (Nitrate 20ppm)

Should I dose tank again with Ammonia, add fish, or phantom feed? I am about to start my quarantine tank today (have extra media bag in sump from the start)

20190903_151551.jpg 20190903_144747.jpg

If it's able to process at least 1ppm of ammonia and the nitrites and ammonia are cleared within 24 hours then you're all set.

If you're spending the month quarantining then you could even take the time to boost your bacteria population even more. I'm doing the same with a new tank right now while the fish are in quarantine. I just step up the ammonia dosing by .25 every time and dose every 3 days. I pause if ammonia or nitrites go over 2ppm when testing. That way when you're fish are done with quarantine, your bacteria population will be more than set.

Nice setup by the way! Very clean.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back