Hello all! started up my new tank last month.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. We don’t use the stupid question question. I already cornered that market :)

I haven’t run a Red Sea, but I understand the sock maintenance issues for sure. You really can use them any way you want. An easy set up would be 2 mesh socks and fill them 1/2 way with filter floss. the mesh socks don’t clog as fast as cloth but may let smaller particles thru. Then just change floss out as needed. Down side is it may trap pods but most socks will.

Either way really nice set up.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome-To-the-party.jpg

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's able to process at least 1ppm of ammonia and the nitrites and ammonia are cleared within 24 hours then you're all set.

If you're spending the month quarantining then you could even take the time to boost your bacteria population even more. I'm doing the same with a new tank right now while the fish are in quarantine. I just step up the ammonia dosing by .25 every time and dose every 3 days. I pause if ammonia or nitrites go over 2ppm when testing. That way when you're fish are done with quarantine, your bacteria population will be more than set.

Nice setup by the way! Very clean.
Thank you. My test kit for Ammonia seems to be iffy at best. My display tank seems cloudy today (no skimmer yet) and no light source. I have only used pure Ammonia to cycle (other than shrimp last month with just rock) Should I start water changes?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. My test kit for Ammonia seems to be iffy at best. My display tank seems cloudy today (no skimmer yet) and no light source. I have only used pure Ammonia to cycle (other than shrimp last month with just rock) Should I start water changes?

What are you using? If you’re using api test strips, purchase their water test. It’s light years better and still low priced. Salifert ftw.

As my lfs says, you can lick the ammonia more accurately than api test strips.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those should be fine then.

With testing ammonia and nitrite you just need to know if it’s present or not while cycling.

I find it helps to stand the tube up vertically to compare the rounded top to the color card.

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a effective (quiet) skimmer. 60 gallon total with sump. Sump space 10"x10" no more then 23" tall (due to plumbing). I was looking at the Skimz SM167 Monzter DC. Thoughts??

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. We don’t use the stupid question question. I already cornered that market :)

I haven’t run a Red Sea, but I understand the sock maintenance issues for sure. You really can use them any way you want. An easy set up would be 2 mesh socks and fill them 1/2 way with filter floss. the mesh socks don’t clog as fast as cloth but may let smaller particles thru. Then just change floss out as needed. Down side is it may trap pods but most socks will.

Either way really nice set up.
Thanks.
I ordered another filter cup I will just use filter floss. The only way to pull the socks out is through the refugium compartment. I think it will be a pain to pull out every 2-3 days.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. Best to take it slow. The amonia readings on api kits are not that reliable at .25 it could be zero. I'd add a second bottle of bacteria and give it a week. If it doesnt change and nitrites are still zero id say your set.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back