Hello and HELP :( water issue or something else?

Przemek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and help

This is my first post and also first scream for help :(( ( hopefully the last one too)

I've started to build my very first salt water fishy tank couple of months ago after shutting down tropical fish tank.

It's a journey I wasn't expecting to be, in a good and bad way.

My setup is a 3ft, 33 gallon tank, with sump.

Couple days ago I've received 5 stage rodi unit, happy as never before, I've started to fill up the tank. I've connected TDI meter and readings on inlet where about 80 and on outlet 0 which suppose to be as far as I know.

I've connected all equipment to adjust flow and other stuff. Then noticed that my skimmer started to produce foam where there was no bacteria added or anything to cycle the tank, not even salt.

I've had it running until next day and noticed that on sides of the tank running marks where water was spilled / condensated.

As far as I understand ro/do water shouldnt leave such residue, but many I may be wrong?

Sorry for any mispell as English isn't my first language.

I hope the pictures will explain better what I meant to say.

Thanks for all your help.

IMG_20210107_105815.jpg IMG_20210107_105701.jpg IMG_20210107_105643.jpg IMG_20210107_105635.jpg

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a couple of ideas

1) make sure that you are collecting water from the correct end of the RODI unit (not the waste water end)

2) i’m not sure where you got your rock from but it’s possible it could have some mineral deposits or salt that may contribute to some of the streaks that you’re seeing on the side of the tank

I don’t think I would be too concerned if everything checks out

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be residue from anything. Just put something under your skimmer to physically raise its level. You can use tupperware, a small plastic organizer crate etc. Just raise the thing until the bubbles only just barely reach the top of the cone and let it run.

OP
OP
P

Przemek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all replays :)

I've chec with manufacturer and RODI is connected as it should.

Yes, rock is from my friend old fish tank but before I've use I'd I had it dipped in bleach to remove all organic material which could still be in it.
Therefore I was surprised when skimmer started to collect some yellow-ish water.

I've checked RODI watter and readings where at 0 and pH was at 9.5

Water inside the tank was showing TDM at 125 and 8.13 pH.

I'm starting suspect it's the rock.

I'll try to flush whole tank couple of times and see if it makes any difference.

Again thanks for help.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TDS 125 in the tank deff seems odd considering you added 0 TDS water to it. Sounds like the rock release A LOT of something into the water column,

OP
OP
P

Przemek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to flush whole tank couple of times, if that won't work I'll get a new dry rocks.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be the tank glass isn't as clean as you thought. I saw something similar on a glass container I had put RODI in. Spilled some on the outside and had the same streaking. I tested the water inside and it was still 0 TDS.

As was said above, your rocks are going to release sediments, calcium etc...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back