Hello! Could someone please help me ID this fish? It’s freshwater and in a 10 gallon tank.

FishAreCool55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So, I recently visited some cousins in Indiana and they gifted me Leo! Although, I was wondering…is this little guy a Koi? I know Koi can real big, so I wanna know, should I get him into a different habitat ASAP, or is he fine? (Btw I’ve also provided some pictures of my other fish, just in case he’s not a good tank mate. Thanks in advance for any answers!) (Btw Leo is the orange and black one!)

18B07507-D395-4913-9073-EAE1F184F0BA.jpeg 8EA5E0C5-76D2-46D8-95C6-04E370CE98C6.jpeg 4C5D57C9-E6AE-4CF7-B784-4977DFFE4101.jpeg 58BBB67B-2A0E-42A9-B566-02DD8B3DB715.jpeg C78CD105-48B7-4FB9-B01D-0CA4A18600C8.jpeg 1B1CEAEE-47A0-4C3F-A451-F3D4E3161E26.jpeg 39DBF7D2-76B7-4AF4-BFEB-D0DBB048F24D.jpeg 4528104C-03CE-4C4D-BABB-2E42CE94DBB4.jpeg EDB6CE29-83E8-4FBD-BC77-1EB0F0A6C417.jpeg 5FAE0E65-270D-46E4-9743-417215CBEF32.jpeg BE6DDDF2-5998-4353-A77D-A45F3F4C4612.jpeg 95D0A5F1-836D-4FEE-84E0-62B39D73D3EB.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the orange and black one in the first/second pic? If so it's hard to tell with that head on shot. A side pic would help but it looks like a goldfish type. Could be a young koi or a regular goldfish. Either way it needs a much bigger tank. Even your final pics look to be a Shubunkin or Ryunkin. This guy shouldn't be in a 10g either. They get huge so not sure what your plans are for them. I have those guys in my 300g pond in my backyard. I would say your 10g is overstocked with these type of fish. They're all pretty though.

OP
OP
FishAreCool55

FishAreCool55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the orange and black one in the first/second pic? If so it's hard to tell with that head on shot. A side pic would help but it looks like a goldfish type. Could be a young koi or a regular goldfish. Either way it needs a much bigger tank. Even your final pics look to be a Shubunkin or Ryunkin. This guy shouldn't be in a 10g either. They get huge so not sure what your plans are for them. I have those guys in my 300g pond in my backyard. I would say your 10g is overstocked with these type of fish. They're all pretty though.
No I’m more referring to this guy. But I’ve also provided a side shot I took of the other one your referring to. From what I can tell they’re not trying to kill each other (unlike my other two fish, who I couldn’t tell were bettas until I took them to the vet cause I noticed something about their fins being shredded. They’re separate now) but I should add something, I’ve noticed the guy in the last picture has gone missing in my tank. There’s no bones to I don’t think he was eaten. I’m pretty sure he’s a pleco so I’ll try to rub some algae in there. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to scan it with a fish ID app, or something along the lines of that. But if these all do get really big, then I’ll have to ask for a larger tank for Christmas. I’m pretty sure that their current tank is good until then. And thanks for the kind words about the fish! I’ll get replacements once these lil guys get upgraded.

Attachments

• 0FE44E1C-86F1-4549-8A95-7D383936645B.jpeg
    0FE44E1C-86F1-4549-8A95-7D383936645B.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 26
  • A19432FE-65B8-42A5-BAC9-F1838A9D6AB6.jpeg
    A19432FE-65B8-42A5-BAC9-F1838A9D6AB6.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 26

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m more referring to this guy. But I’ve also provided a side shot I took of the other one your referring to. From what I can tell they’re not trying to kill each other (unlike my other two fish, who I couldn’t tell were bettas until I took them to the vet cause I noticed something about their fins being shredded. They’re separate now) but I should add something, I’ve noticed the guy in the last picture has gone missing in my tank. There’s no bones to I don’t think he was eaten. I’m pretty sure he’s a pleco so I’ll try to rub some algae in there. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to scan it with a fish ID app, or something along the lines of that. But if these all do get really big, then I’ll have to ask for a larger tank for Christmas. I’m pretty sure that their current tank is good until then. And thanks for the kind words about the fish! I’ll get replacements once these lil guys get upgraded.
This looks like a freshwater Barb fish but I haven't seen that color morph so maybe it's a cousin or a hybrid or a similar type fish. Maybe look up freshwater Barb fish gold and black. I have never kept this fish but thought they needed larger than a 10g or maybe a 10g on it's own.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very young koi that has not developed color yet. You can tell by the barbells by the mouth

OP
OP
FishAreCool55

FishAreCool55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a freshwater Barb fish but I haven't seen that color morph so maybe it's a cousin or a hybrid or a similar type fish. Maybe look up freshwater Barb fish gold and black. I have never kept this fish but thought they needed larger than a 10g or maybe a 10g on it's own.
That may be correct. I’ll have to do more research, tho. Until then, I’ll try to work up money for a bigger tank for them
Very young koi that has not developed color yet. You can tell by the barbells by the mouth
Yep you’re correct. I’ve just looked up the barbels and butterfly koi and I’m pretty sure I’ve found him, looks to be a butterfly koi. I’m considering your post (and Karen00’s) the answers! But for now I’ll have to try and work up money. I’m pretty sure they’ll fit in there until I get a bigger tank

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be correct. I’ll have to do more research, tho. Until then, I’ll try to work up money for a bigger tank for them

Yep you’re correct. I’ve just looked up the barbels and butterfly koi and I’m pretty sure I’ve found him, looks to be a butterfly koi. I’m considering your post (and Karen00’s) the answers! But for now I’ll have to try and work up money. I’m pretty sure they’ll fit in there until I get a bigger tank
After reading Dennis's reply. It's probably a koi. I have never kept them so didn't know they go through those changes. You're going to need a much, much larger tank just for the koi let alone the others in your tank. LOL If it is a koi, you might want to consider rehoming it to someone with a pond. They get massive.

OP
OP
FishAreCool55

FishAreCool55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading Dennis's reply. It's probably a koi. I have never kept them so didn't know they go through those changes. You're going to need a much, much larger tank just for the koi let alone the others in your tank. LOL If it is a koi, you might want to consider rehoming it to someone with a pond. They get massive.
I’m planning on putting a tank big enough for a koi on my Christmas wishlist. When I showed my dad how big kois get, his jaw dropped lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back