Hello everyone! I'm new here and just starting my reef/saltwater tank.

Jenskittytank2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, funny story but actually not so funny...years ago(about 15), my best friend and I started a beautiful(wish I had pics) saltwater tank that was thriving so well, with coral, anenomies for about a year until one day our boyfriends came home from fishing one day and dumped all their dirty grass shrimp and whatever else into our BEAUTIFUL tank and KILLED EVERYTHING by the next morning!!! Literally costing us thousands of dollars and time. Needless to say, neither of us are with them anymore! Heehee.
Fast forward to today, just beginning my new tank, about 3-4 months now, and I've got that RED Cyanobacteria. I'd appreciate any and all helpful ideas. As you can see from the pics it is much less than before by keeping it clean, sifting the sand, changing filter media, also 30% water changing and using the chemical treatment for this., which I'd rather not use anymore if possible. I have 3 small clown fish, cleaner shrimp that has molted twice and my big red fire shrimp that has molted 3 times already! He is my favorite. Also, this is only a 40 gal. tank, wish I got much larger but I suppose it'll do for now... #reefsquad

20210920_152608.jpg 20210920_152619.jpg 20210920_152630.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, funny story but actually not so funny...years ago(about 15), my best friend and I started a beautiful(wish I had pics) saltwater tank that was thriving so well, with coral, anenomies for about a year until one day our boyfriends came home from fishing one day and dumped all their dirty grass shrimp and whatever else into our BEAUTIFUL tank and KILLED EVERYTHING by the next morning!!! Literally costing us thousands of dollars and time. Needless to say, neither of us are with them anymore! Heehee.
Fast forward to today, just beginning my new tank, about 3-4 months now, and I've got that RED Cyanobacteria. I'd appreciate any and all helpful ideas. As you can see from the pics it is much less than before by keeping it clean, sifting the sand, changing filter media, also 30% water changing and using the chemical treatment for this., which I'd rather not use anymore if possible. I have 3 small clown fish, cleaner shrimp that has molted twice and my big red fire shrimp that has molted 3 times already! He is my favorite. Also, this is only a 40 gal. tank, wish I got much larger but I suppose it'll do for now... #reefsquad

Welcome!

Glad you joined. I'm Lisa. Sometimes BFs are useful... and sometimes GRRRrrrr... sorry for you & your friends losses caused by those ex-BFs.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Glad you're not with them anymore, seem like morons :)
If your using red slime remover or something like that, make sure you remove your carbon (if your using any).
I use it, but I leave it in my tank for 3-4 days before doing 25% water changes and replacing my media.

OP
OP
Jenskittytank2

Jenskittytank2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Glad you're not with them anymore, seem like morons :)
If your using red slime remover or something like that, make sure you remove your carbon (if your using any).
I use it, but I leave it in my tank for 3-4 days before doing 25% water changes and replacing my media.
Ooh thanks for the tip!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Jenskittytank2

Jenskittytank2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Glad you joined. I'm Lisa. Sometimes BFs are useful... and sometimes GRRRrrrr... sorry for you & your friends losses caused by those ex-BFs.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Thank you so much for your help!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef! You will love it here!
Have you considered adding Nassarius snails to churn the sand?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back