Hello FOWLR. Please welcome me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s pics of all my corals that I “rescued” I personally got really attached to the bright green sps on the top left. I grew many new branches on it!

I’m rehoming the leathers because they are releasing toxins when I do water changes. I am running extra activated carbon to account for this.

Would you keep the coral QT in living room next to the FOWLR? I would definitely like to have both tanks together instead of the coral tank hidden in a different room.
Like right next to it? You would want to limit transmission of disease. Maybe a glass lid?

You could go with no fish in the coral tank so all coral would always go fallow which would limit cross contamination to your FOWLR.

Something like a peacock mantis would be super entertaining instead. However I would set it up with some nice dark caves and a small UV since peacock mantis are prone to shell rot.

Otherwise a mix of many inverts would be cool. Tons of nem crabs, cleaner shrimp, saron shrimp, and so on.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do CopperSafe at least 30 days at full therapeutic strength, then I kind of let it linger— meaning I’m not too quick to water-change it out or anything; I get absorption into the rocks take its own path and start gradual dilution through water changes over time. (So there is probably trace Copper months down the road; but that’s just my way of going about it.)
I see! I was worried my fish wouldn’t survive a month after copper. Glad to see that people have done it.

I personally prefer to have everything documented so I know how long treatment was therapeutic for. Just in case I ever get ich back I can see what went wrong.

I plan on the 2.50ppm copper for 45-50 days and then I’ll use lots of cuprisorb rated for my tank size to get it all out. I feel confident that ich will not be a problem anymore!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like right next to it? You would want to limit transmission of disease. Maybe a glass lid?

You could go with no fish in the coral tank so all coral would always go fallow which would limit cross contamination to your FOWLR.

Something like a peacock mantis would be super entertaining instead. However I would set it up with some nice dark caves and a small UV since peacock mantis are prone to shell rot.
I agree with you. That was my reasoning for not putting the coral tank next to the DT. And I am not putting fish inside the coral QT because I don’t want to quarantine my corals in a separate tank. If people want to see fish they can look at the FOWLR. If they want to see fish in coral tank they can suck it up buttercup.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with a tank your size you would find massive water-changes will work faster (and date I say ‘better’) than the amount of money you would have to spend on Cuprisorb. At least get a head start taking the copper out with a 60% water change, I would suggest. ;)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with a tank your size you would find massive water-changes will work faster (and date I say ‘better’) than the amount of money you would have to spend on Cuprisorb. At least get a head start taking the copper out with a 60% water change, I would suggest. ;)
Good idea! Especially since salinity can be lower which saves $$$

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be foolish and do a bunch of small water changes first; then get fed up with the slow progress and do a 40-60% water change... on already diluted water. Lol. Then I realized that I would get a much better bang-for-the-buck if I did giant water change FIRST... when the tank had the most copper in it. Duh!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be foolish and do a bunch of small water changes first; then get fed up with the slow progress and do a 40-60% water change... on already diluted water. Lol. Then I realized that I would get a much better bang-for-the-buck if I did giant water change FIRST... when the tank had the most copper in it. Duh!
Believe it or not making 5 10% water changes vs 1 50% water change has very minimal difference! Randy did a calculation. Let me try to find it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, with a 100-gallon tank and a goal of changing 30 gallons each month, one might consider changing 30 gallons once, 15 gallons twice, 10 gallons three times, 5 gallons six times or 1 gallon 30 times. In the extreme case, we can imagine changing an infinitesimally small amount of water an infinitely large number of times, eventually consuming the entire 30 gallons (I actually do this in my aquarium, as I'll explain).

Aquarists often think that many small changes are not as efficient as one big change since some of the water in all subsequent changes was already replaced by earlier changes. This is a correct assertion, but it is often overstressed. After changing 10% three times, only 10% of the first 10% change was changed the second time (1% of the total). So the difference is small. We can mathematically calculate the efficiency of such changes as follows. If we use our 30% example, then one 30% change removes 30% of the impurities, assuming an equal distribution of the impurity within the water. If we do six 5% changes, then the reduction in impurities = 1-(0.95)6 = 26.5%. So it is less efficient (six 5% changes exactly equal 26.5% changed in one batch), but it is not radically less efficient. Going smaller still, the difference is even smaller. Doing 30 one percent changes removes 1-(0.99)30 = 26.0% of the impurities.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a UV sterilizer? I always found it a requirement to run with it. If I didn’t had constant ich breakouts. Had puffers and triggers very messy and strong with the poop they were. Usually performed a water change every two weeks. Mind you this was twenty years ago. I would think dosing two part and afr would definitely help Coraline grow. I was never successful with Coraline in a fowlr. Perhaps this is the ticket. I never dosed copper to main display. Never needed it too. But I kept critters to. Yes every now and again there would be death but I always like seeing something extra besides the fish. Guess it was the difference between having a freshwater or saltwater.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb, I checked out your beautiful Gem Tang... but that Blueface Angel is a showstopper!

By the way, I was at 2 different stores in Orlando this week— each had a Gem Tank for a hefty $999.00. ;)
Thank you. The Blue face, Baloo is why I wanted a fowlr tank. Gems are in the mid 4s around here. I may want some type of a trigger next!!!

Last edited:

CLR2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank looks amazing. I love the idol.
Have you thought about dosing hydrogen peroxide? I have a fowlr and dose hydrogen peroxide daily. I have struggled for years with trying to qt every fish and still managed to introduce diseases. I lost fish constantly and was almost to my breaking point. If the peroxide didn’t work i would have probably left the hobby. As of now my fish look amazing and I only lost a few small fish because my grouper ate them. I’m not sure about the long term effects but this is the first time in years I can enjoy my tank and add a fish without worrying about an outbreak. I know a lot of people are against using it but it’s working for me so I will not change what I am doing.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s pics of all my corals that I “rescued” I personally got really attached to the bright green sps on the top left. I grew many new branches on it!

I’m rehoming the leathers because they are releasing toxins when I do water changes. I am running extra activated carbon to account for this.

Would you keep the coral QT in living room next to the FOWLR? I would definitely like to have both tanks together instead of the coral tank hidden in a different room.
You're free to send any of those to meeeeee. ;)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef ,

My 180g FOWLR is a beauty. I have never once regretted not turning it into a reef.

I had an ich outbreak a couple months after I set it up, treated with copper power and have never had an issue since. I have done 2 water changes on that tank in the last 8 months (about 20g each time). I run a 6' Orbit marine LED light over this tank which is FAR too underpowered for a reef, but just fine for fish. Benefit to this is low intensity light also limits algae growth.

High flow, oversized skimmer and a reasonable sump and that's it. No fancy pantsy dosing of anything. Feed a normal amount of food and it just keeps on keeping on.

Current stock list is:

Clown Trigger
Picasso Trigger
Hippo Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Scopas Tang
6 line Wrasse
Flame Angel
3 Stripe Damsel
2x Domino Damsel

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you told me sooner! I gave them to my LFS.
GIF by moodman

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back