Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GIF by moodman
Don’t worry. Your other gift is coming soon!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp @Tamberav (if I missed anyone, you may still comment. More opinions the better!)

So, I am here for advice on my stocking list.

Note: the stocking list must revolve around 2 things:

1. it must NOT outcompete my moorish idol for food (I’m thinking about an adult harlequin tusk that will consume the entire masstick in one bite etc)

2. It must fit the peaceful “reef fish” vibe of my tank. No aggressive fish like lion fish, eels, triggers…they don’t fit what I’m envisioning for this tank.

so here’s my correct stock list:

Yellow tang
Blue tang
Orange shoulder tang
Powder blue tang
Naso tang
Moorish idol
Coral beauty angel
Flame angel
Lamarck angel
Copperband butterfly
Foxface
Gold nugget maroon clown
Gold x Lightning maroon clown
Hortulanus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Midas blenny
Flame hawkfish
Black mollie
Redfin wrasse
Stripped blenny

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I think this stocking list will NOT be complete without anthias.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty Angels are very hardy, and very much under-appreciated. I recently bought a BiColor Angel— my 3rd over the course of several years; one of the only fish that ‘keeps dying’ on me. :(

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty Angels are very hardy, and very much under-appreciated. I recently bought a BiColor Angel— my 3rd over the course of several years; one of the only fish that ‘keeps dying’ on me. :(
Why do you think that’s happening? If they are prone to dying I might just skip them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is what I’m thinking of adding:

4C111CCF-BA6C-4B41-8165-F5A242C94D13.jpeg
The angels should be alright - Add the queen last since these can be kind of aggressive but not even close to H. passer. The three dwarfs in your tank should be alright but may fight at first (Basically like the wrasses). If possible try add the YLB and Raccoon butterfly at the same time, also be careful when getting the yellow long nose, there’s two that are common in this hobby and get mistaken for each others Forcipiger flavissimus and Forcipiger longirostris. I think F. longirostris gets the longer snout if you want that nice long snout but F. flavissimus seems to be smaller because of the smaller snout (It’s still relatively long though compared to CBBs). I find that Bicolors aren’t quite as prone to death as the Moorish is though. They are a harder species out of the angels but they’re also a slightly deeper water fish from what I know.
In terms of Anthias, how much money do you want to spend? Into the 1000’s or more two digit numbers?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never could put my finger on it. The BiColors went from stable and active to ‘failure to thrive’ pretty quickly, in tanks where everything else was doing fine. I’ve had this one about 6 weeks— we’ll see.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both so much. I removed the bicolor off the list. Less stress for me! I have enough on my plate with the moorish haha. ;)

I grouped the fish together by species to add together. I’m pretty confident that the list is complete. I added other “dream” fish that I forgot about previously.

About the anthias: I was planning on the cheaper Lyretails, but I think I’m going to forgo them all together. I don’t think they will survive long term and I’d rather not chew more that what I can swallow.

Here’s the list:

7DE6EE84-500A-428D-84F9-A36CBB8D2169.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like anthias, but they always died from uronema in the past. They never died skinny.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both so much. I removed the bicolor off the list. Less stress for me! I have enough on my plate with the moorish haha. ;)

I grouped the fish together by species to add together. I’m pretty confident that the list is complete. I added other “dream” fish that I forgot about previously.

About the anthias: I was planning on the cheaper Lyretails, but I think I’m going to forgo them all together. I don’t think they will survive long term and I’d rather not chew more that what I can swallow.

Here’s the list:

7DE6EE84-500A-428D-84F9-A36CBB8D2169.jpeg
I love P. xanthometopon, I would say a hybrid lemon peel Angel would be nice in your tank but they’re hard to come by and it wouldn’t be great to loose one at that price.
I think that stock works well and won’t be too bad with the other stock you have, just be careful with Angels and Butterflies being added with the tangs, I don’t think there should be aggression but if you see chasing it’s probably just the hierarchy growing! Also, don’t go for the “Blue queen angels” chances are they’re Holocanthus bermudensis.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back