Hello from Arizona! Would love to find some friends that can help me on this journey...

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pete and Welcome and Welcome Back after 30 years! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). There is no such thing as too early!

This might help you find people local to you in Queens Creek Arizona (might also help if you changed your Account - Location from USA to at least Arizona, but that is up to you):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Huge thanks! I will update to AZ and start a build thread as soon as I figure out what tank I am ordering lol, thanks again for the help and links !

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Like you I reefed a long time ago. Started back in 1976 with a Fish-Only-With-Dead-Coral-Skeletons and progressed through all the various stages/fads/discoveries/etc. I stepped away about 15 years ago when we moved. I got back in a little over a year ago and don't regret it. Everybody is different but what worked for me coming back in was to get a small AIO (a Waterbox Mini Peninsula 15, now called the Waterbox Cube 15). I wanted to be sure I was really ready to dive back in without breaking the bank or getting stuck unloading a ton of gear if I decided I was making a mistake starting up again. I'll hopefully be getting a 100 gallon AIO (I've had sumps but I prefer the safety, quiet and simplicity of AIOs) in the near future.

My suggestion would be to get a low-complexity tank if you are planning to move in the near future. Also, when you move there is a fairly good chance you will want a different tank anyway. An AIO would be ideal. Don't let the Red Sea scares put you off too much. I haven't read of any problems with the new G2 tanks. Red Sea, Waterbox, IM, and Cade all make really good tanks.

I would also suggest you look into joining AZ Frag as there are lots of helpful and outgoing people there. They have monthly meetings in the Phoenix metro area.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
This is great advice, we are in the same boat as far as getting back after a long break... I remember the days of bleaching my coral skeletons lol.... So much has changed for the better! Thanks again!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thank you for the great forum and from what I can see already a wealth of knowledge and great members.
I have been viewing the forums for a few days and definitely acquired some great info.

30+ years ago I had my first and only saltwater tank, fish only.... Things have changed so incredibly much as far as technology it's amazing and intimidating all in the same breath.

First, I would love to find some friends locally that I can bounce some ideas off of, kind of my security blanket knowing I have friends locally I can pick up the phone and call. I decided to get back in the hobby since I really enjoyed it 30 years ago.

I started out looking locally at a few LFS, originally I wanted to start with a Desktop Nano tank, of course I'm a typical guy and that went to 30gal, 60gal,90gal, 125gal and I think you get the point... I hoped to have a tank last weekend and have really had to put on the brakes and think about why I was doing this and what I would be happy with in the end... I plan on building another home in the next 1-2 years and at that point I can go as large as I want without the headache of moving a tank...

Wow, I'm long winded... I would like to stay within 36" to 48" width since this will be in my home office, I've looked at the Red Sea, Waterbox, Cade, IM and some of the local Aqua Japan... I have completely confused myself to the point I don't know which direction to go.. Sump, AIO, etc... Red Sea leaking issues have scared the heck out of me from reading, I love the idea of a sump but again, it looks intimidating... I plan on having fish, and a few easy to keep corals, again the coral thing is brand new to me...

I don't want to say money is not an object, but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for and I am not afraid to invest in this...I also don't want to throw money away either... I think something 60 to 90gal will fit the bill, anyone local that can help me get started and help out it would be appreciated...

Sorry for the long winded intro, I just want to make the right decision and not rush into the first thing I saw...

Thanks Pete (Queen Creek area)
Welcome to Reef-2-Reef and to the Metro Phoenix Area Reefing community.

There are lots of us here and off course as others have suggested, there is the local club - AZFrag. They hold regular meetings, which might be a good way to meet other locals that have similar interests .

This is the AZ Frag Forum here on Reef-2-Reef

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome (from Arizona also)! There's plenty of folks on Reef2Reef and on Facebook (if you do social media) from the Phoenix area. As a matter of fact, often it feels like there's more of you east siders than us west siders. Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe... Tank recommendation: 110 or 120? They're only 4' tanks. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome (from Arizona also)! There's plenty of folks on Reef2Reef and on Facebook (if you do social media) from the Phoenix area. As a matter of fact, often it feels like there's more of you east siders than us west siders. Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe... Tank recommendation: 110 or 120? They're only 4' tanks. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thanks! I'm open to that size, just think I'm going to do an AIO for now and they seem to be limited to 65 or so gallons... East or west side, not a problem for me.... I'm on all the social stuff... Need to connect! I'll PM you

cubereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I'm in Phoenix. There's a few good shops here to look at different tanks as well as some locals who sell tanks and equipment. I would suggest a tank with a sump as u can change your equipment options more then a aio. Depending on what you are looking for I have a 60 gallon leemar cube with sump I'm interested in selling.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm open to that size, just think I'm going to do an AIO for now and they seem to be limited to 65 or so gallons... East or west side, not a problem for me.... I'm on all the social stuff... Need to connect! I'll PM you
Welcome to Reef2Reef. And shameless plug for Innovative Marine AIO tanks. They make a shallow reef(SR) series that might suit your needs. 60, 80, 120 gallons. I have the SR60 myself.
1667456047184.gif

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s good! I’m in Scottsdale bro. I’ve been exploring the area there’s some pretty cool stores.

Welcome back! I'm in Phoenix. There's a few good shops here to look at different tanks as well as some locals who sell tanks and equipment. I would suggest a tank with a sump as u can change your equipment options more then a aio. Depending on what you are looking for I have a 60 gallon leemar cube with sump I'm interested in selling.
Thanks.........I see the benefits to both options... Still deciding on which I will go with... THanks

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. And shameless plug for Innovative Marine AIO tanks. They make a shallow reef(SR) series that might suit your needs. 60, 80, 120 gallons. I have the SR60 myself.
1667456047184.gif
Thanks, Definetly one of the options high on my list...!~

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back