Hello from Colorado. Brand new to Reefing!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by GrowlingTea, Dec 26, 2017.

1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome to R2R Josh and thanks for signing up. I too shall extend my gratitude's to you for your service.

Idoc, Lovemyreef2015 and ourcoralreef like this.

2. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

I was thinking I’d start with a fish only with live rock! Seemed the best route with the biological filter capabilities and the minimal upkeep of live rock. I’m actually kind of nervous to put coral in but I think I’ll be fine after more research. The supreme guide is an awesomely extensive guide to setting up a tank here on the forum written by @revhtree. It covers so much and has been extremely helpful so far.

Idoc likes this.
  3. MBX5

MBX5 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

What part of Colorado? We have a few clubs in the state and a few great stores to help with getting going.

Larry L likes this.
  4. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

I’m from the Colorado Springs area but wouldn’t mind a trip up to Denver to meet some people and take a look inside some stores. There are so many more options in Denver than there are in the Springs.

5. JonPhillips

JonPhillips Well-Known Member

Welcome, man! I’ve got a 75g, stand, and sump I’m trying to get off my hands...Rifle, CO 75 is that perfect ULM balance if your into that soft of thing Haha

6. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

Thanks for the offer! I think I’m gonna stick with building everything myself to get that experience and also to stay within a reasonable budget. But thanks for the offer and I bet you’ll get that thing sold in no time!

7. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Born and raised in Colorado. Welcome!

8. Larry L

Larry L Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

You'll want to check out the web sites for SCMAS (Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society) and MASC (Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado) - lots of friendly people there, and they can point you at the best shops to visit:

http://www.thescmas.org/
    http://www.marinecolorado.org/

Idoc and MBX5 like this.
  9. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome home, you will love it here!

Thanks for your service!

Please keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Idoc likes this.
  10. MBX5

MBX5 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Don’t know any of the shops down that way. Check the local Colorado forum. Make sure to try and make it up this way for ReefStock in Feb.

11. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be sure to check them out!

12. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

I had no idea there was such a thing but sounds awesome! I’ll see if my work schedule agrees with me going!

MBX5 likes this.
  13. GrowlingTea

GrowlingTea Member

Good news! I just found out of the weekend that my aunt and uncle have some hand me down equipment from their old aquariums they put away a couple years ago. I’m going over to their place this weekend to take a look at everything. Not only will that put me ahead of schedule I’m getting some equipment because buying their unwanted stuff will make it cheaper for me but I also now have someone in town for help setting up if I need it! Keep an eye out for my build thread coming sooner than expected!

MBX5 likes this.
  14. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R! Retired military here and started my tank build a year ago! Keep reading the forum, it's full of information. Make sure you start a tank build thread in the member's tank section.

ourcoralreef likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted