OP
OP
B

billbo67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you’re better Bill, and can’t wait to see pictures of the new tank. By the way I have a Scottish daughter-in-law. She’s become the best part of the family.

3AB99FF8-8F38-40E1-A62F-CC5A9D602760.gif
glad to see us Scots are always making a good impression!
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world Bill. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when need it.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

Glad to hear you’re better Bill, and can’t wait to see pictures of the new tank. By the way I have a Scottish daughter-in-law. She’s become the best part of the family.

3AB99FF8-8F38-40E1-A62F-CC5A9D602760.gif

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I like to keep it simple so it won’t be loaded with Technology just a skimmer and bio media and good old fashioned water changes.
Hi Bill and welcome. I'm just getting back into the hobby myself, started in the 80s. I'm interested to see how you fare with a minimalist approach... that's what we had back then.

I had a reef tank with a Fluval canister filter and the only thing I ever measured was salinity. I had elegance corals and lots of fish and invertbrates, eels, etc. And I didn't lose much.

I'm intrigued by all the new technology, but as I read the forum I wonder if the hobby has been overcomplicated to the point where everyone is just chasing the numbers round and round and round, add this, dose that, buy a sulfur reactor, etc etc.

OP
OP
B

billbo67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill and welcome. I'm just getting back into the hobby myself, started in the 80s. I'm interested to see how you fare with a minimalist approach... that's what we had back then.

I had a reef tank with a Fluval canister filter and the only thing I ever measured was salinity. I had elegance corals and lots of fish and invertbrates, eels, etc. And I didn't lose much.

I'm intrigued by all the new technology, but as I read the forum I wonder if the hobby has been overcomplicated to the point where everyone is just chasing the numbers round and round and round, add this, dose that, buy a sulfur reactor, etc etc.
Yeah I had a very simple set up including wooden air diffuser protein skimmer and sand bed filter before (Berlin system) live rock was a big thing! Didn’t keep anything near the variety guys have now but never had many issues either

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a very simple set up including wooden air diffuser protein skimmer and sand bed filter before (Berlin system) live rock was a big thing! Didn’t keep anything near the variety guys have now but never had many issues either
Yes, well that is a difference, there are many more types of reef corals etc available today so perhaps it's not as simple as it was 30 years ago.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and glad to be here.

I’ve been keeping marines for around 36 years and before that Discus etc which seems to have been a right of passage for some. During this time I have had a reef setup (mainly SPS), fish only, oddball tanks and anything that floated my boat. Still amazed how technologically advanced the hobby has become but it leads back to one conclusion “we keep water” and then enjoy the critters we put in it.

My last Aquarium was a Deltec 250 gallon which unfortunately crashed when I found myself in hospital with Sepsis! I’m now fighting fit and have ordered myself a Red Sea Reefer S-850 but I like to keep it simple so it won’t be loaded with Technology just a skimmer and bio media and good old fashioned water changes.

Anyway that’s a quick Intro from me!

cheers Bill

Hi Bill and Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you've a lot of experiences to share after 36 years - YOU MUST BE ROCKING IT!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare to see a Scot here! We should have a reef club in Glasgow really! All five of us could hang out at Willy's shop :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back