Hello from MO! Intro and planning/design questions, 40G breeder build

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef enthusiasts!

Long time lurker, first time poster! In the planning stages of my first tank (40G breeder, 20G long sump, DIY stand, softies at first and plan to progress to mixed reef over time) and have design questions along with some other questions that I haven’t found any direct answers to after 10 years of research. I’ll post the TL;DR section first for the gurus that don’t want the fluff, followed by the long winded stuff for the gurus that want more fine details. Thanks in advance for all the information and guidance! Any help, recommendations, atta-boys, and general chat is very welcome and appreciated!

TL;DR

Design plan – 40G breeder display, with external overflow drilled thru the back. Bean Animal drain. Lighting I’m liking is the Kessil AP9X. 20G long sump (DIY) with skimmer (Aquamaxx FC-80 vs Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1?), chaeto refugium (in time), bubble trap and return pump. Maybe filter socks? Not really wanting to spend the cash on a filter roller. Looking at the Sicce Syncra SDC line for return pump. Haven’t decided on heater(s) yet. RO/DI setup, probably 6 stage due to city water using Chloramines. Maybe a 5 to 10 gallon ATO, not sure on that size yet. Not planning for a controller/monitor at this point due to cost, But I love the Neptune A3 monitor that just debuted!

Livestock – Was planning dry pukani rock to make the scape, but the idea of some Gulf live rock from KP Aquatics seems to make sense for a newbie. (I want to dark cycle it to kill the photosynthetic stuff off). Live sand, the medium stuff that everyone loves. softies at first, then mixed reef if and when I’m successful. The common fish at first like a couple clowns and a wrasse, not sure after that. CUC plan is hermits/snails and a shrimp or two. On the fence about urchins. Blenny once the tank matures.

Questions as follows->

-20G long sump- The part I’m having difficulty figuring out is how to submerge the primary and secondary drains of the bean animal setup, and also utilize filter socks? Can anyone show me your setups? Do I even bother with Filter socks? I’m not wanting the filter roller due to cost, and a lot of people have success without them.

-20G long sump. Its small! Can I make all this stuff fit? Let me see your 20G L setups please! Thanks!

-Live rock – Is 15 pounds of KP aquatics live rock enough to start my biome? Can I dark cycle the live rock in the sump and use dry pukani in the display? Should I dark cycle the rock in a brute trash can then move it to the display along with some Pukani? Lastly, is there any benefit if I’m cycling the live rock in a brute, and to add the pukani in with the live rock for the cycle?

-Live rock hitchhikers – maybe this is the better argument for the brute trash can cycle to remove the bad stuff as much as possible?

-Salt mixes – how do you really pick? I’m not worried about price here, just want the better option. I know opinions, any everyone has one. Red Sea coral salt, tropic marin and reef crystals stick out to me….. why? And what about the higher PH salts… is that an established tank salt not suitable for beginners?

-Salt mix cost – The boss (my wife) is hung up on the cost of salt over all the other things. Yes, crazy, I know. I’m assuming because it’s a continual cost for water changes. If I’m planning 10-15 gallon water changes twice a month, what’s the yearly cost I'm really expecting? And more importantly, what do I tell her? What hass been your experience here?

-Aquamaxx Skimmers – nice beginner price point, and seem to be decent. Should I consider something else? Would love lots of feedback here please.

-Powerheads – The random flow seems to be highly suggested. Can I get away with a random flow nozzle on the return? Do I need to supplement with 1 or two powerheads? The AC heads are cheaper, but don’t have the fancy settings. What do you recommend for the rookie on his first tank. Not trying to be cheap, but two DC powerheads are a considerable cost for a 40B first tank.

-PH – It goes up during the lights on period, and down at night. Part of the reason for wanting a refugium to light on opposite schedule. How worried should I be about this? Controversial topic, kalkwasser top off down the road? I’m really wanting to keep PH stable down the road, as it seems those of you that are successful really make that a priority.

Now to the longwinded stuff/filler if your still here! I’m highly mechanically inclined, and love DIY stuff. I grew up on a horse ranch and have had animals my entire life. Had some freshwater tanks as a kid, this will be my first salt water tank. I’ve wanted a reef tank for the better part of 10 years, but didn’t like the idea of moving a tank. Now that my wife and I purchased our second home this past February and don’t plan to move for at least 4 years, I’m wanting to pull the trigger! The tank will be in the living room, so right off the bat it needs to be quiet as possible to keep the misses happy. Hence the bean animal overflow and questions above. I’m planning a DIY wood stand, as I am able to build and finish it how I want. The aluminum idea is nice, I just don’t like the look for my living room.

I’m 35, and we just had our first kid in July! I love being a dad so far, other than lack of sleep. I work for the hospital on the ambulance, so I already had a messed up sleep schedule. I work 16 & 24 hour shifts, and this is a concern for me running this tank. The flip side, I only work 2 days a week. The light I want has a schedule app, and the sicce DC return pump has the temperature monitor that can keep me in the loop while I’m at work. My wife won’t really be involved in the tank, but she will more than likely be home if I’m not and can be directed for interventions if need be. We plan to work opposite schedules for child care. (Wife is a nurse and only works 3 days/week). Can I get away with the Sicce app and only monitor temp while I’m gone on my shifts? I’m really debating the new Apex A3 monitor, not really wanting the cost of a full system controller right now. We live in the city, and the power coop is pretty reliable here. I’d probably still buy a generator to have in the garage just in case of power outage.

The city I live in really doesn’t have much saltwater support from the local fish stores. There are some nicer stores in St. Louis and Kansas city, so looking for some recommendations here to cover my but since I don’t have emergency help right down the road. I also don’t know anyone local that has a tank……yet.

I think that’s enough to introduce myself and get some feedback, and I’m sure I’ve missed something. I’m pretty excited, and very patient. I’m certainly not running into this with any speed. I like to do my research, and this forum has been an amazing resource. If you all have any other questions, please don’t be afraid to ask! I’m looking forward to all you fine folks have to say. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Reading your post, my setup is pretty similar to yours. I started last November. 40g breeder, 20g long sump, made my own stand, etc.

I don't have a lot of specific advice because I feel like I am still learning myself, but I can tell you what I did on a few things.

I bought the fiji cube baffle kit for the sump. It comes with filter socks in the first "compartment". The primary and secondary drains have a section in that first compartment to drain, then the water flows into the filter socks and on to the second compartment. I have the reef octopus classic 110int in the second compartment, third compartment is for refug (which I haven't set up yet because I haven't had a need for it yet). The last compartment I have the sicce syncra sdc 3.0 return pump which has worked well for me.

I got some live rock from a local reefer and I am glad I did. I think it helped with my initial cycling. I'm not sure how that would compare to getting some from KP Aquatics. I did have some hitchhikers, but nothing bad. I did end up getting rid of some paly's on one of the rocks because I didn't want it taking over the area it showed up.

I have my heaters hooked up to an inkbird wifi controller. I have the ability to monitor and/or receive notifications if something goes wrong. I do like having the extra temp monitor on the sicce as well though. It's king of a sanity check.

I have 2 jebao powerheads in addition to the return pump. This is one of those, I'm new and not sure, but I think you will want to get some powerheads. I was in the same boat as you. I didn't want to spend tons of money on the powerheads right now when I was spending lots on everything else and I feel that the powerheads were one area I could save and not have it come back and bite me later. I've been happy with my jebao slw-20's so far.

I don't have a controller but I bought wifi power strips. Not the same, but I do have the ability to turn everything on and off a lot easier than crawling under the tank to turn something off. I have a control panel I built on the end of the stand, so some of my controllers (powerheads, pump, heater controller) are located there, so those are easy enough to get to.

I didn't know the best way to pick a salt either. I went with tropic marin first, but have switched to fritz just to have something a little closer to the parameters I want to keep (9-9.5 alk and 450 calcium). I haven't tried to calculate a yearly cost, but my wife wanted and is involved with the tank almost as much as I am so cost hasn't been a real issue. I try to keep my costs down some, but I haven't obsessed with it. Good luck with "the boss"!!

I think my build thread is linked in my name, but not sure. If it's not I can send you a few pics. I haven't been super active in updating that thread, but I haven't done much to my tank over the last few months. I was in the middle of the ugly stage for a bit, but I'm finally past that and just received some new corals today (they are in qt for a while), so I will update with some pics soon.

I live in St. Peters (originally from Moberly, so not far from you) and there are a couple of LFS that I like, but I think the Reef Corner is my favorite. It's about a 30 minute drive for me so I don't go too often, but they have always been helpful when I've been in.

One last thing, I like your user name. I am a weber guy myself. I've built a couple of custom tables for my weber and wouldn't really want to use anything else for my bbq/smoking adventures.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Kraig

OP
OP
WeberKettleGuy

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Reading your post, my setup is pretty similar to yours. I started last November. 40g breeder, 20g long sump, made my own stand, etc.

I don't have a lot of specific advice because I feel like I am still learning myself, but I can tell you what I did on a few things.

I bought the fiji cube baffle kit for the sump. It comes with filter socks in the first "compartment". The primary and secondary drains have a section in that first compartment to drain, then the water flows into the filter socks and on to the second compartment. I have the reef octopus classic 110int in the second compartment, third compartment is for refug (which I haven't set up yet because I haven't had a need for it yet). The last compartment I have the sicce syncra sdc 3.0 return pump which has worked well for me.

I got some live rock from a local reefer and I am glad I did. I think it helped with my initial cycling. I'm not sure how that would compare to getting some from KP Aquatics. I did have some hitchhikers, but nothing bad. I did end up getting rid of some paly's on one of the rocks because I didn't want it taking over the area it showed up.

I have my heaters hooked up to an inkbird wifi controller. I have the ability to monitor and/or receive notifications if something goes wrong. I do like having the extra temp monitor on the sicce as well though. It's king of a sanity check.

I have 2 jebao powerheads in addition to the return pump. This is one of those, I'm new and not sure, but I think you will want to get some powerheads. I was in the same boat as you. I didn't want to spend tons of money on the powerheads right now when I was spending lots on everything else and I feel that the powerheads were one area I could save and not have it come back and bite me later. I've been happy with my jebao slw-20's so far.

I don't have a controller but I bought wifi power strips. Not the same, but I do have the ability to turn everything on and off a lot easier than crawling under the tank to turn something off. I have a control panel I built on the end of the stand, so some of my controllers (powerheads, pump, heater controller) are located there, so those are easy enough to get to.

I didn't know the best way to pick a salt either. I went with tropic marin first, but have switched to fritz just to have something a little closer to the parameters I want to keep (9-9.5 alk and 450 calcium). I haven't tried to calculate a yearly cost, but my wife wanted and is involved with the tank almost as much as I am so cost hasn't been a real issue. I try to keep my costs down some, but I haven't obsessed with it. Good luck with "the boss"!!

I think my build thread is linked in my name, but not sure. If it's not I can send you a few pics. I haven't been super active in updating that thread, but I haven't done much to my tank over the last few months. I was in the middle of the ugly stage for a bit, but I'm finally past that and just received some new corals today (they are in qt for a while), so I will update with some pics soon.

I live in St. Peters (originally from Moberly, so not far from you) and there are a couple of LFS that I like, but I think the Reef Corner is my favorite. It's about a 30 minute drive for me so I don't go too often, but they have always been helpful when I've been in.

One last thing, I like your user name. I am a weber guy myself. I've built a couple of custom tables for my weber and wouldn't really want to use anything else for my bbq/smoking adventures.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Kraig
Nice to see a reply from someone so close by! I live in Columbia. I was up in St. Charles a month ago and stopped into a couple stores there and wasn't very impressed. I did however like Marine Solutions in St. Charles, they had alot of stock and clean tanks for the most part. Probably where I will get my first corals when the time comes, but I will have to check out the store you recommended.

I read through your build thread, and you were right! Pretty much the same build I am aiming for. Thanks for the sump baffle kit suggestion, that looks exactly like what I want to do. I'll have to look more into the details, but your pictures made it look like a decent kit. I was looking at the exact same return pump as well, good to know it works for your setup!

How did you decide to go with the reef octopus classic 110int? It seems to be the classic gold standard for starter skimmers from what I've read, just wanted your two cents on why you chose it.

Do you really keep your Alk that high? or with water changes does it balance out lower? Have you checked it during the day and evening for swings? I did notice you've got a range of corals in your tank.

I appreciate the other pointers and equipment suggestions! I'll have to look further into them. I'm glad you posted about the BRS titanium heaters not having their own thermostat! I'm sure your not the only one to overlook that.

I really like your float switch setup. I might do a similar setup, or backlight a external float gauge. lots of ideas running thru my head here.

Lastly, I love to BBQ! Charcoal is the only way to grill and smoke, period. It seemed to be a good name and wasn't taken, so here we are! Thanks again for the reply!

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 5 minutes from Marine Solution. I like them okay. I think they have cleaned up the tanks some since I first started going over there. We have bought several corals from them, and they have all done fine but I do quarantine the corrals for a while before they go into my tank. I've avoided at least bryopsis and aiptasia in my display tank by doing that.

I still prefer The Corner Reef. It is just a preference. Someone else might say they prefer Marine Solutions over Corner Reef.

I looked for a skimmer for quite a while. I didn't add it until I was many months into having everything up and going. I really didn't know which one to get and like you said, Octopus seemed like the gold standard and they were on sale when I got it so that's what I did.

I decided 9-9.5 for Alk by reading a lot on here and doing other reading. Seems like a fairly typical level. I have not tested Alk or PH levels early in the day. Alk drops a little during the week if I don't supplement but my PH has been pretty stable at 8.2-8.3 every time I test. I am supplementing Alk and Ca now. I am going to add a doser soon but just doing manual dosing for now. The last month was hectic so I dosing got away from me a little but my levels didn't drop too much before I got back on top of it. I don't have any high demand corals yet. I did just get an order of 9 more corals today from Tidal gardens, mix of zoa's and some LPS corals. I'm pretty excited to get those in, it's been over 3 months since anything new (other than a little CUP) has been added. Probably for the best since I was going through an ugly stage until just recently.

I'm not a super technical guy but I do like tinkering around some. The ATO level gauge float thing was fun to put together.

Glad to help in any way I can. I've had plenty of help on here and at a few LFS. I am still learning everyday myself.

OP
OP
WeberKettleGuy

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 5 minutes from Marine Solution. I like them okay. I think they have cleaned up the tanks some since I first started going over there. We have bought several corals from them, and they have all done fine but I do quarantine the corrals for a while before they go into my tank. I've avoided at least bryopsis and aiptasia in my display tank by doing that.

I still prefer The Corner Reef. It is just a preference. Someone else might say they prefer Marine Solutions over Corner Reef.

I looked for a skimmer for quite a while. I didn't add it until I was many months into having everything up and going. I really didn't know which one to get and like you said, Octopus seemed like the gold standard and they were on sale when I got it so that's what I did.

I decided 9-9.5 for Alk by reading a lot on here and doing other reading. Seems like a fairly typical level. I have not tested Alk or PH levels early in the day. Alk drops a little during the week if I don't supplement but my PH has been pretty stable at 8.2-8.3 every time I test. I am supplementing Alk and Ca now. I am going to add a doser soon but just doing manual dosing for now. The last month was hectic so I dosing got away from me a little but my levels didn't drop too much before I got back on top of it. I don't have any high demand corals yet. I did just get an order of 9 more corals today from Tidal gardens, mix of zoa's and some LPS corals. I'm pretty excited to get those in, it's been over 3 months since anything new (other than a little CUP) has been added. Probably for the best since I was going through an ugly stage until just recently.

I'm not a super technical guy but I do like tinkering around some. The ATO level gauge float thing was fun to put together.

Glad to help in any way I can. I've had plenty of help on here and at a few LFS. I am still learning everyday myself.
Where is the Corner Reef? I'm heading up to St. Charles tomorrow for work, might have to stop by and check this place out if it's not too far out of the way!

Thanks for the info about your alkalinity. I feel the more I read about alk and PH, the further into the weeds I find myself. Also, how deep is your sump in your skimmer chamber? any issues with the water level and your skimmer? I read that the baffle kit only goes to 8 inches depth, and has a really high water level in the filter sock chamber. Got me thinking I might do the kit for the 29G tank as it has a much higher baffle. Curious about your input here with your setup, and how it's worked so far.

I'm really hoping I get some feedback from others about the live rock and cycling it in a brute can, or in my sump.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember what the water depth is in the skimmer chamber. I feel like it's about 9" I actually have the skimmer up on some "blocks" to raise it some. I think optimal depth for the Octopus 110 is 7-8" but I didn't look it up just now so could be wrong. Either way, I had to raise the skimmer to get it to that optimal level they suggest. It seems to be working pretty well for me. Had a few weeks of a break in period but does what I want since then.

The Corner Reef is at 7565 S. Lindbergh BLVD. St. Louis. It is on the south side of town. I live about 5 mintues from Marine Solutions and it takes me around 30 minutes to get to the Corner Reef, so that might give you an idea how much further it would be for you to get there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back