Hello from Northern VA, first time saltwater!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saltwaternoob89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Jay! There are definitely a lot of great people with lots of good information on these forums so you're in the right spot! If I can steal a line from Tidal Gardens, "lighting is a loaded topic". You're going to get lots of recommendations from lots of people. The biggest questions you have to ask are: what do you want to grow; LED, MH, T5; how much do you want to spend; controller, built-in ramp timer, or just on/off; and tank mount or suspended. There are lots of other considerations but answering those will narrow things down quite a bit.

Thanks! yeah for lighting I would like something that I can keep beginner coral with, has settings so it can automatically go from dark to light and in between. My footprint is about 16inches at the Bow and 24 inches across so not a huge footprint. Lighting is important and I can see you can spend a lot of money on it but I'm hoping to keep it at or under $300. I could probably suspend something but would much prefer something I can mount over the tank with a bracket opposed to hang from the ceiling. Ill probably post a build thread and ask for advice in there, yours is appreciated!

Hi Jay and Welcome! Glad you joined. Thank you for your service.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). It sounds like you've set a good, thoughtful path for yourself, situation and tank (and I agree lighting can lag behind... many buy light only to not turn on for weeks+)

This might help you find people local to you in N.VA and Washington DC:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the local forums, the DMV has a huge population so its information overload sometimes! I will probably also do a build thread as I go along. Its going to be a long journey until i can have a larger tank (about 6 years left in service for retirement) and it will be cool to se this little tanks progress along the way!

Welcome to Reef2Reef Jay! I started in the hobby with a 20 gallon reef tank and man was it a journey. If your going to be moving every few years I recommend getting an AIO system (All In One). RedSea and Waterbox Aquariums offer some wonderful tanks. I now have a RedSea 350 (90 total gallons) so I'm a little biased.

AIO tanks eliminate having a sump which make transport much easier when you move and reduces complexity and equipment. On my 20 gallon I had a HOB filter and no protein skimmer. The more water volume the easier to keep which is why AIOs are intriguing when you will be moving.
Overall, routine maintenance along with research and patience will be your friend in the hobby.

Here is a link to a post I made about my 20 gallon long so you can see some progression pictures over 2 years before I upgraded.

AIO seems like a cool idea, but at the moment I have the items I need for my current setup, and some of the AIO systems can get quite expensive, I may go that route later on in my Saltwater adventure thank you for the idea!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! yeah for lighting I would like something that I can keep beginner coral with, has settings so it can automatically go from dark to light and in between. My footprint is about 16inches at the Bow and 24 inches across so not a huge footprint. Lighting is important and I can see you can spend a lot of money on it but I'm hoping to keep it at or under $300. I could probably suspend something but would much prefer something I can mount over the tank with a bracket opposed to hang from the ceiling. Ill probably post a build thread and ask for advice in there, yours is appreciated!
Lots of brands that will fit that bill for sure. I love @noopsyche (as do several others on this forum).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Back