OP
OP
D

drfm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continuous welcome posts. I am starting to look at those Build Thread Contributor links which are quite informative and would definitely help me. Although not starting from scratch, with all the new technology out there and automation, I feel I am staring all over again.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continuous welcome posts. I am starting to look at those Build Thread Contributor links which are quite informative and would definitely help me. Although not starting from scratch, with all the new technology out there and automation, I feel I am staring all over again.
A build thread is a great place to bounce ideas off of others, share your tank(s) and just document your tank. I look at it as a way to give back to the community and to become a better reefer. You can never tell when your build thread will help someone else. I've had several DMs with people asking about pieces of equipment. Without the build thread they wouldn't know I was using it. It is never to late to start a build thread.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started about 22 years ago with a built in 180 gallon (6x2x2 feet) fish only aquarium (April 2001) then to a reef aquarium in August 2002. Never had luck (skills or proper equipment) in keeping hard corals so I gave up and kept soft corals.
I always wanted a beautiful reef aquarium but did not stay current with the latest technology and I believe my setup (especially lighting) needs major upgrade. I recently discovered this forum, so I joined to learn and get help in reaching my goals. So, I will be posting a lot of questions and would like to thank everyone in advance for answering them.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Like you, find having fish-focus is hard to coexist with hard coral focus... We've been throwing everything at our water parameter control, and while daily alk dosing is easy, getting our nitrates and phosphates into happy hard coral ranges is hard. This site is a great resource. Red Sea NOPOX is helpful and we've gone back to adding just a bit of that as the 24 hour lighted planted refugium, Brightwell PO4 EXPORT cubes in reactor and biopellets with bio digest in reactor just not getting my BF down to the range he wanted for corals... Not cutting back on fish and not starving fish, but with a lot of research we're getting where he wants.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
D

drfm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Like you, find having fish-focus is hard to coexist with hard coral focus... We've been throwing everything at our water parameter control, and while daily alk dosing is easy, getting our nitrates and phosphates into happy hard coral ranges is hard. This site is a great resource. Red Sea NOPOX is helpful and we've gone back to adding just a bit of that as the 24 hour lighted planted refugium, Brightwell PO4 EXPORT cubes in reactor and biopellets with bio digest in reactor just not getting my BF down to the range he wanted for corals... Not cutting back on fish and not starving fish, but with a lot of research we're getting where he wants.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks for the link to the supreme guide article. I read it all and it is informative. Too bad it was last updated in 2016. Needs major update but the principles are there.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back