Hello from Wisconsin, thinking about jumping in after 12 years.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Rjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, from a fellow Wisconsinite (between Milwaukee & Madison)!

Keep an eye out in the Facebook marketplace, I have seen many tanks for sale on there lately (most seem to be in the Fox Valley area).

Groups like Wisconsin Aquariums buy/sell/trade or Wisconsin Saltwater / Freshwater Aquarium - Buy, Sell, Trade have a good amount of things to offer.

Let me know if you need something, I may not be far away.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back, fellow reef addict!
coral_crinoid_chimney_787med.jpg

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 years ago I broke down my, to me, successful 180G reef after upgrading from a 75G tank. Many life changes since and I'm thinking about jumping back in. I made the mistake of taking my daughter to a frag swap last weekend and now she won't stop talking about the Flame Angel that she saw. So here I am, looking for a nice used 50-100G setup. Some things haven't changed while others have. Overflow boxes were normal. LED's were prohibitively expensive. Protein skimmers were still maturing. Automation was in its infancy.

Red Sea and Waterbox are beautiful, but I'm still leaning used. I'm not sure I can light a $100 bill on fire and not flinch yet. I know that 30G would be too small, but I really don't want to go larger than 100G from past experience. Anyway, here I am.

Stop thinking and jump lol! I know, easier said than done. In that size range I've had a 60 cube and loved it. Can light it with a single fixture(Kessil A360W in my case) and provide flow with a single powerhead(MP40). Just not much room in the stand unless you make your own. If you do find a setup, please start a build thread and tag me so I can follow along!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome from Sheboygan area and to the R2R community
Check area craigslist and Wisconsin reef society page. A couple 75 gallon units on there

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
12 years ago I broke down my, to me, successful 180G reef after upgrading from a 75G tank. Many life changes since and I'm thinking about jumping back in. I made the mistake of taking my daughter to a frag swap last weekend and now she won't stop talking about the Flame Angel that she saw. So here I am, looking for a nice used 50-100G setup. Some things haven't changed while others have. Overflow boxes were normal. LED's were prohibitively expensive. Protein skimmers were still maturing. Automation was in its infancy.

Red Sea and Waterbox are beautiful, but I'm still leaning used. I'm not sure I can light a $100 bill on fire and not flinch yet. I know that 30G would be too small, but I really don't want to go larger than 100G from past experience. Anyway, here I am.
What part of Wisconsin?

OP
OP
S

Slider162

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Slider162

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop thinking and jump lol! I know, easier said than done. In that size range I've had a 60 cube and loved it. Can light it with a single fixture(Kessil A360W in my case) and provide flow with a single powerhead(MP40). Just not much room in the stand unless you make your own. If you do find a setup, please start a build thread and tag me so I can follow along!

That is where I wanted to start. Largest tank that I could put a single light and single powerhead in. I'd like to keep it simple and automate as much as possible without breaking the bank.

I have fond memories of my mated pair of Percs. Mom was just laying her eggs about a month before I had to break down the tank.

2009 07 04_0025_edited-1.jpg

tmynice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar story, but larger appetite. Went full 300 gal out of the gates. started back about 18 months ago lol. Now I am a full addict again . Things are going great. Reach out to reef to reef with any questions, they’ve been great. I’m in mount Horeb, when your set up DM and I will set you up with some monti’s. Mine need some serious pruning. Good Luck!

92659970-4082-4F56-B911-DAAB53BD1D24.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back