Hello- I am new and having difficulty with micro bubbles in my saltwater tank

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem and welcome to R2R, I'm new to the forum as well, I crossed the picket line from Reef Central. I hope you solve your problem though! It always helps to have good people giving honest opinions and working together to solve a problem. Let us know the outcome. I'd like to know if it continues after the skimmer breaks-in completely. If I purchase new eshopps filter socks and throw them in the sump right out of the bag, my skimmer goes bananas. So it could be a mixture of new fabrics and materials causing the skimmer to go buck wild.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife @DiamondD runs this same tank and she has no micro bubbles ever. The skimmer just took some time to break in but it exhausts into the chamber where the sponge filter resides. So I'm not sure if the skimmer is the source but I'd give it some more break in time to be sure.

She runs it with a cobalt heater so there isn't much room for the bubble trap as an option. Also, the sump wall actually has a few very small but strategically placed holes to assist flow into the sump through the areas where the sponge filter holds the media bags.

Honestly, I would check to see if your water level is full above the return pump to be sure that the return isn't what's making the bubbles.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point TonahpahNorth. Glad we have an opinion of someone who has actually looked at this thing in person. I agree on skimmer break-in too and the pump is certainly plausible as well. Good information. This is why I love forums, we all learn a little something.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back