Hello, I am new to saltwater and my favorite animal is a snowflake morray eel but i want to start out with a biocube. What is a good beginner tank?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You've probably already found this:
Up to 36" in length in captivity, the snowflake moray requires an aquarium that is larger than 20 gallons (40–50 gallons when full grown) with a tight-fitting lid, as these eels (and all eels, for that matter) are good at escaping and can fit through surprisingly small holes in aquarium lids.

There are many options out there. I'm a great believer in buying used, so I'd recommend watching craigslist and other local-to-you sites for someone upgrading or leaving hobby so you can pickup a deal - maybe whole setup.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably already found this:
Up to 36" in length in captivity, the snowflake moray requires an aquarium that is larger than 20 gallons (40–50 gallons when full grown) with a tight-fitting lid, as these eels (and all eels, for that matter) are good at escaping and can fit through surprisingly small holes in aquarium lids.

There are many options out there. I'm a great believer in buying used, so I'd recommend watching craigslist and other local-to-you sites for someone upgrading or leaving hobby so you can pickup a deal - maybe whole setup.
Yeah I have a local fish store that told me you need a very tightly fitting lid but what biocubes/ aio tanks are built to the point to hold a snowflake morray?

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will defer to others on biocubes but I would think you should have expectation nearly everything will still need at least little DIY love from you to 'moray proof' openings.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tank will come built tight enough to prevent a small moray from getting out. I keep alot of morays and the best way to close up gaps is clear packaging tape. Since its plastic based the saltwater wont corrode it. Saltwater will eat through duct tape and other tapes. Also they will try ro get into your filters even if theyre hang on or overflow and sump. Ive glued eggcrate (the square pattern light diffusing sheets) to inlets to make the openings smaller. Also id recommend a 75 gallon for a full grown snowflake, i wouldnt start with anything smaller than a 40.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflakes can go with fish it can't swallow whole and will eat most inverts (crabs, shrimp, etc.). Corals are ok.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflakes can go with fish it can't swallow whole and will eat most inverts (crabs, shrimp, etc.)
What are some cool fish that can go with snowflakes? and are there any corals that can potentialy damage/ sting them. This is my first saltwater tank so I am quite not knolegable.
Ive also heard its better to start at a non nano level as they can be completly wiped out by viruses.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a local fish store that told me you need a very tightly fitting lid but what biocubes/ aio tanks are built to the point to hold a snowflake morray?
They will likely keep a snowflake eel in, but mine would very often get back into the filter compartment and could then easily get out the back access holes. Luckily this was a temporary quarantine setup so it was only for about two months.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is starting with a 75 gallon a bad idea or would someone with minimal experience be able to keep one up?

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean would someone with no saltwater experiience be able to keep a 75 gal up?

Last edited:

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
compared to a 20g yea its cost that will be most important I wanted a nano 7 years ago when i started got talked out of the nano into 60 column best decision I made. now I'm in a 25 an its doable

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang the tank sold like instantly :(.

are there any cheap alternatives too buying a 1,777$ tank?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang the tank sold like instantly :(.

are there any cheap alternatives too buying a 1,777$ tank?
imo 40 breeder would give you a solid year if you get a baby. prioritize heavy filtration with your budget. DIy refugium or ATS would work great

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back