A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R.
You won't find too many people in the hobby that want their aquarium to make any sound. Most people's goal is for their aquarium to be as silent as possible.
My aquarium makes noise from the water going down the overflow and I like the sound, as long as it doesn't sound like a toilet flushing.
Haha so true about the toilet flushing! I've seen a few videos about sump plumbing and with that much water moving so far I can't imagine its perfectly silent. Super impressive if people manage that

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 5 stage RODI system and after a lot of wrangling I managed to get it working. Very pleased with it.

I'm planning on setting up a 55 gallon and building a stand myself. I'm mostly interested in corals, I love the color and the movement.

Im also actually kind of looking forward to the sound of moving water, I usually have to play noise on my phone to sleep but I'm going to deliberately get a HOB filter for the water sounds. Im really looking forward to getting to watch coralline algae develop and the corals grow. Im do biochemistry for a living and really get a lot out of nurturing hobbies - dogs, houseplants and the like. Not sure how this hobby managed to escape my attention for so long - both chemistry and growing things? I can hardly think about anything else!
Welcome!

Glad you joined and looking forward to hearing about your successes!

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add different bacteria? Do you mean those l

Thanks! I've been watching sooo many YouTube videos for weeks now haha, I love the brstv series. They're such a good resource
? Not sure what you mean by I but don't add different bacteria because it causes cyano. Lots and lots of newbies do that.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 5 stage RODI system and after a lot of wrangling I managed to get it working. Very pleased with it.

I'm planning on setting up a 55 gallon and building a stand myself. I'm mostly interested in corals, I love the color and the movement.

Im also actually kind of looking forward to the sound of moving water, I usually have to play noise on my phone to sleep but I'm going to deliberately get a HOB filter for the water sounds. Im really looking forward to getting to watch coralline algae develop and the corals grow. Im do biochemistry for a living and really get a lot out of nurturing hobbies - dogs, houseplants and the like. Not sure how this hobby managed to escape my attention for so long - both chemistry and growing things? I can hardly think about anything else!
I don’t want to be a party pooper but a 55g tank, in traditional dimensions, is brutal for rockscaping. 13” isn’t a lot of room front to back.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like an awesome plan. I used to visit this little cabin in the middle of nowhere, Pennsylvania as a kid. There was a creek outside and the windows were thin, old, single pane glass. You could listen to the water bubble over the rocks for hours. Gosh, thanks for stirring up the memory. Enjoy the tank and welcome to the salty family.

OP
OP
A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to be a party pooper but a 55g tank, in traditional dimensions, is brutal for rockscaping. 13” isn’t a lot of room front to back.
The party is not pooped! I've gotten this same feedback a couple of times and have changed my mind about it. I've found someone selling a great tank locally and it's perfect, much better dimensions. I hope I get to nab it in time. Will post build thread when I do!

OP
OP
A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Do you have any particular corals on your list yet?
There are so many I love that its difficult to say. I live really close to a quite well known lfs that specializes in corals. When I'm closer to ready for them I will pay them a visit!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef! If you do an HOB, one cool thing to consider is removing the media and adding Mangrove roots to it. They come with their own challenges but still fun!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7EE049D2-C748-4534-B36A-B3C9B416FD80.png

I also recently finally tackled my RODI system and got more familiar with it. They're not so bad once you get your feet wet. :)

Just be sure to have an ATO if you have a HOB since you will probably have slightly higher evap with the higher surface agitation.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back