OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for tonight.

The Fox face has terrible eyes! One of them the cloudiness is peeling off. It's body looks much better though! Still not eating but is moving around a little.

Purple looks the same as this morning. Very rough but clear(er) eyes and swimming a little bit. Also not eating.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news after watching the tank for a while tonight is that they are a lot more active. Fox regularly going for little cruises around. God these two fish mean so much to me I hope they pull through.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 400mg/L I think. Those pills above have 100mg. Maybe could speed this up prior using a slight amount of heat. I.e. crushing put in a beaker, and a hotplate. Possible in stainless steel and on stove top likely. Doing it this way I would use 2 pans like a chocolate boiler. Then let cool. Maybe use fairly pure vodka to dissolve. I figure with this brand its 18.93 mg/gallon. 1 pill for 5.28 gallons.
I've had really bad experiences using alcohol as a solvent for prazi - even worse than the glycol solvent in prazipro, the alcohol can fuel a bacterial bloom that can strip oxygen from the water. You need to use the absolute least amount possible and then aerate the heck out of the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no real difference in condition of my fish today but I am witnessing my melanarus picking things off the Fox face. This makes me think that even if it's not flukes it's still parasitic. It doesn't seem to be bothering the Fox face at all.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only just realised I wrote 'hello' instead of 'help' in the title.

We lost the fox face. She was in a bad way at the end and I almost thought to euthanise her. She died overnight and I disposed of her yesterday morning.

We're left with 3 fish in the tank. The Melanarus appears to be just fine with no noticeable appearance change or change in behaviour. The blenny has some issues with his skin/scales, the same as the purple tang. Both these fish look like they have been sanded with sandpaper. The blenny is still quite active though but the purple will not leave the coral banded shrimp. If they move somewhere, she goes with them. She's still not eating but she's at least retained her colour and her eyes are still quite clear. She has white lips. I'll take some pics when the lights come on.

I've completed the second prazi treatment today so i'll be doing a big water change and adding carbon and skimming again (I'm running skimmer with no cup for extra oxygen atm).

I'm not sure what next stages will be. Maybe I just need to wait for her to heal and that she will start behaving normally again once this happens?

Thanks again guys.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the purple just now.

Attachments

• 20211123_141359.jpg
    20211123_141359.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of reading about different medical issues and I think the following observations on my purples behaviour might be important;
  • She's not swimming around but also doesn't seem to be hiding
  • She doesn't appear light sensitive
  • She doesn't seem to be breathing quickly, gills are going but mouth has minimal movement (unlike the fox who appeared to be really gasping at the end).
  • She's not convulsing
  • She's not scratching
  • She's not swimming into power head flow
  • She definitely doesn't appear to be uncomfortable at all.
If it wasn't for her appearance and the fact I've noticed her not eating, I'd quite easily miss anything wrong with her.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres two videos of her.
Note that I've had this fish for 14 years. She hasn't been afraid of me for a long time. The fact that I need to film the second video from a distance because she wont come over is just another notable behaviour.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny died last night. Down to 2 fish.

@Humblefish I'd love your opinion in here please if you have a moment. You definitely seem like an expert.

The Melanarus still is not showing any symptoms. The purple is still 'dusty' and not eating.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it looks like we've broken it. The purple looks better today and the melanarus is still completely oblivious to anything going on.

Now, she is still looking a little dusty and her lips are white but theres not as much on there and she 'appears' to be a little more active. I think I saw her eat a bit of the frozen food I put in earlier.

If we are clear and she looks even better tomorrow I'll be thanking my lucky stars that this fish pulled through. She means a lot to me. But I want to make sure we knock the flukes out for good, so do I run a third treatment?

First treatment was on Sunday 14th.
Did a 30% water change, turned on carbon and skimmer on Tuesday 16th in the arvo (roughly 54hrs treatment).
Did a second treatment on Sunday 21st.
Did a 30% water change, turned on carbon and skimmer on Tuesday 23rd in the evening (roughly 58hrs treatment).

From my calcs, this should be enough to stop the cycle but I'd like any opinions.

Thanks guys.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny died last night. Down to 2 fish.

@Humblefish I'd love your opinion in here please if you have a moment. You definitely seem like an expert.

The Melanarus still is not showing any symptoms. The purple is still 'dusty' and not eating.

He isn’t on these forums anymore. He has his own forums now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back