Hello Michigan Reefers! Lets see some more activity in our forum!

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mandrew and myself have been talking recently and both of us would like to see more activity in the Michigan forum! I myself am new to the reef scene and want to connect more with the community! Ive heard murmurs of frag swaps in Lansing but thats about it. Post here if you know of active clubs and swaps, if not lets get one going!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a swap in October Sturgis I believe. Lansing swap is after first of the year always it's a great swap meet. They also do a Ann Arbor area swap yearly. There's information on here about them available I'll find the link and post it. Grand Rapids here lol.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here I am here I am here .... will "follow" you both. I'm Carla ... in Eaton Rapids.
Mandrew and Evan where are you? Steve in in GR

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know we have @CherryCorals here in Michigan as well!
oh yes Cherry Corals is certainly here. I was there a couple weeks ago and .....ohhhh my heavens I have a feeling I will be seeing them too often. What a wonderful place! I could spend a fortune in there.
My LFS is Preuss Pets and I love them very much.
I know there is a Sturgis swap coming up but I will be out of town. Hubby may go. Have to figure out where Sturgis is first .... lol

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes Cherry Corals is certainly here. I was there a couple weeks ago and .....ohhhh my heavens I have a feeling I will be seeing them too often. What a wonderful place! I could spend a fortune in there.
My LFS is Preuss Pets and I love them very much.
I know there is a Sturgis swap coming up but I will be out of town. Hubby may go. Have to figure out where Sturgis is first .... lol

I also go to Preuss! Best LFS I have found that is within a doable distance for me, most likely going there tonight in fact. As far as Cherry Corals goes I haven't made it out there yet but I know my wallet will be hurting when I do!

Last edited:

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Rick at preuss lol and been to my friends at cherry corals. Gotta love em guys. Bluefish is around here for lfs Jeff is great. Also the tropicorium is a nice shop to visit in Romulus. Don't know if it's around yet but Kees outside of Detroit was a awesome lfs. Flint had a nice lfs also few years back. I know they were moving to new store but haven't been to it. Think it was reef paradise or something.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Rick at preuss lol and been to my friends at cherry corals. Gotta love em guys. Bluefish is around here for lfs Jeff is great. Also the tropicorium is a nice shop to visit in Romulus. Don't know if it's around yet but Kees outside of Detroit was a awesome lfs. Flint had a nice lfs also few years back. I know they were moving to new store but haven't been to it. Think it was reef paradise or something.

Huh ill have to look into that place in flint, I live there half the year haha.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Gmaps says they are closed and does not show another location.
Bummer they had the best zoa collection I've seen at a lfs. Everything was fat n healthy looking. Sps n lps was popping. Really busy when we went maybe 5 years ago maybe less.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also go to Preuss! Best LFS I have found that is within a doable distance for me, most likely going there tonight in fact. As far as Cherry Corals goes I haven't made it out there yet but I know my wallet will be hurting when I do!
Oh heck we just left Preuss! Picked Marks brain about all kinds of stuff! Lol

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Cadillac, but I've also been to Preuss and I LOVE it there! Rick hooked me up good last time gave me some discounts and stuff and I bought a return pump off the shelf and got all the way home with it and found it was used and all dirty and banged up, they shipped me a new one that day and told me whenever I make it back down to bring the other one in. So great customer service there.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Cadillac, but I've also been to Preuss and I LOVE it there! Rick hooked me up good last time gave me some discounts and stuff and I bought a return pump off the shelf and got all the way home with it and found it was used and all dirty and banged up, they shipped me a new one that day and told me whenever I make it back down to bring the other one in. So great customer service there.
What a lovely area of Michigan! (Cadillac)
Rick and everyone (Mark is our guy ... Rick is not usually on the floor but I almost always see him around) at Preuss is sooooooo good. I've found their advice and guidance to be absolutely essential - they are not out to just sell you stuff - they want to educate and promote smart reef keepers. Bill, Ben, Ashley ... all of them .... great staff.
There is a reason there are no other saltwater LFS within 60 miles of Lansing. You simply can't get better than Preuss and no one even tries ... IMO
They get their fish from A&M Aquatics which is literally just a few blocks from Preuss. Can't say enough good things about Preuss. So grateful we have them

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Michigan Reefer here. I am in the southwest corner of the state where there are a total of 3 reef tanks :) Well it feels like it sometimes. This corner of the state doesn't get much love for reefing... If anyone on the boards is from this area I would love to hear from you! I know of 2 or 3 other reefers within 45 minutes of me but not much else.

I have been in the hobby for right at 10 years now. I have multiple aquariums all feeding in to a common basement sump. 225 in wall (5x3x2), 150 cube in the living room, and a soon to be installed in wall anemone cube!

Don

Last edited:

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Michigan Reefer here. I am in the southwest corner of the state where there are a total of 3 reef tanks :) Well it feels like it sometimes. This corner of the state doesn't get much love for reefing... If anyone on the boards is from this area I would love to hear from you! I know of 2 or 3 other reefers within 45 minutes of me but not much else.

I have been in the hobby for right at 10 years now. I have multiple aquariums all feeding in to a common basement sump. 225 in wall (5x3x2), 150 cube in the living room, and a soon to be installed in wall anemone cube!

Don
LOL .... I am sure there is at least .... 5 reef tanks over there, somewhere! Love your sump system!! I hope to do something similar someday although it will take some bends etc in the plumbing and hubby is not ready for that yet! Next tank is probably FOWLR so we'll just use an sump in the stand I think. Sounds like you really go some great stuff going on! in the wall?? AWESOME! are you keeping higher end corals? Do you get your corals online? Sounds like a super pro system Don.:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back