Hello Michigan Reefers! Lets see some more activity in our forum!

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with waiting. Honestly as long as the tank has cycled for about a month you should be able to keep corals. That being said, if you're not ready then that's ok as well. I support going slow because that is one of the most important things in this hobby.

Also I support quarentining your fish prior to placing them in the display tank. You can place them in main display without any problems but if they get stressed it can cause whatever they have to show up and the infect the tank. It's a pretty common reason for tank crashes.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on..... I am not the perfect kind in this hobbie but yeah I agree on QT.. I do it anywhere from 1 to 3-4 weeks .. I guess it depends on the fish and all

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Michigan reefers, ill be out in Kalamazoo fairly frequently for work, any good reef stores around?

Joybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I just found this michigan forum, I live in the burbs outside Detroit (not sure if there's a Detroit specific forum?). I'm heading over to Ann Arbor tomorrow though and wondering if there's any good lfs there? Hunting mostly for corals for my 70 gallon right now. Thanks!!

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Michigan reefers, ill be out in Kalamazoo fairly frequently for work, any good reef stores around?
I know this is old, but if you haven't found it yet, mvpets is growing. When I got into saltwater they didn't have a ton in the way of saltwater, but they are getting bigger. The fishselection is ok, but you can order stuff through them, and the coral selection is pretty good.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.... especially for western suburbs like Plymouth Novi Livonia and so...

I'm in Northville... 2 tanks: 6 foot wide 135g SPS tank, and a 93g cube with a mushroom focus.

always looking for mushrooms, will swap SPS frags.
9866df265fbe57e1a80170d73a4306f6.jpg
b94cb0c258d8d85e8f26be5975e24291.jpg

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have frags to trade bc I am still not at that point but man it's just hard to get corals in like Shelby Rochester area or Michigan in general. Seams like this hobbi is on back burner bit time in this state... or maybe I just don't know any better

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have frags to trade bc I am still not at that point but man it's just hard to get corals in like Shelby Rochester area or Michigan in general. Seams like this hobbi is on back burner bit time in this state... or maybe I just don't know any better
I agree, Michigan is a dead Zone, very few offerings, and ZERO awareness this hobby exists.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I admire the folks from Colorado , Minnesota and Wisconsin..they are big in hobbie hell even NY

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Michigan is a dead Zone, very few offerings, and ZERO awareness this hobby exists.
I wouldn't say it's dead entirely, cherry corals is here as well a prusse and a few others. There is the Michigan coral expo in Lansing coming up and I have been to several smaller ones. We are a bit quiet about it tho so I suspect there's more going on then we or most know.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah near alpena in spruce mi 48762. I wanna try some stuff I think I have enough light and water good issues with ph tanks in basement so it at 7.8 to 7.9 that's only pitfall had a bluefin damsel in my tank that was eating the Xenia so he is in sump till I find home I just found out I have a friend from fl that's been doing it as long as me that starting a aqua culture business I just called him by chance I gave him my Hawaiian dragon and green morayvwhen I left fla and we started talking about him sending me some corals to trade around for stuff he doesn't have there

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG
Is this the setup in Fl or is this here in MI with you? In a few years once I graduate I plan to get a good propagation system set up to help diversify the offerings here in MI but that's a few years off.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted this in another MI thread but who plans to go to/is aware of the coral expo in Lansing on the 28th?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend a sunday for a "3 Hour Tour" Na...Now if it was a all day affair with some Speakers and vendors,demos it would be worth the Day and travel, I am surprised Chicago doesn't have a substantial show.
but yes there are some Wholesale coral factories in michigan but Cherry is the only one that sells retail which is probably why he is killing it. Prusse I hear is the top destination for SW and that alone defines
this discussion, 1 top shop ? of course we have the Pet stores that try to offer a little of everything . I know of 3 that really try but lack of awareness prevents true growth.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend a sunday for a "3 Hour Tour" Na...Now if it was a all day affair with some Speakers and vendors,demos it would be worth the Day and travel, I am surprised Chicago doesn't have a substantial show.
but yes there are some Wholesale coral factories in michigan but Cherry is the only one that sells retail which is probably why he is killing it. Prusse I hear is the top destination for SW and that alone defines
this discussion, 1 top shop ? of course we have the Pet stores that try to offer a little of everything . I know of 3 that really try but lack of awareness prevents true growth.
Honestly pruse is great for equipment and fish but lacks big in coral hence again why cherry is killing it.

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of us still out there. Not all are active on forums. Some take a break because of families or moving, but they get back in eventually. Trust me there are some peeps in SE MI with some amazing stuff.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a leap in logic, the LFS that sell big time corals have to subsidize by online and facebook sales otherwize stock will degrade or require more work/costs than profits. this is what I surmise.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a leap in logic, the LFS that sell big time corals have to subsidize by online and facebook sales otherwize stock will degrade or require more work/costs than profits. this is what I surmise.
Yeah your probably not wrong, tho we could still use more variety in places thay function like cherry does

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jumping into the thread, Lansing swap was packed lots. Its been a few years since I've been there normally its snows but not today beautiful drive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back