Hello! New Reefer Tank/Sump Pluming questions

Pshopcars107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, New to the site and new to the Reef/Sump world.

this is my first time having a Reef Ready tank with a sump, I just want to make sure I have this all figured out before I'm fully committed to the build.
pluming both overflows for a Herbie Style, then bringing my return up the back or side, wherever I see makes sense. any pointers or tips would be amazing!
Thanks in advanced.

Tank Plumbing .jpg

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a pro on plumbing big tanks but from what I know it looks great. Might want to add a valve on your return line to control how much goes through the manifold or none at all. Your water line will have to be above the first baffle in the bubble trap as well. And definitely UNIONS, I see you have that note there. The more the better :)

Kris4647

Rare Clownfish anemone aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things:

I’m not sure it’s just an estimate but remember your first over baffle past the refuge sets the sump level.

I’ve not seen edrains dumped there but it should work

People will complain about the check valve, I use them. Just don’t depend on it.

I’m wondering about the completely separate drains. Not saying it’s wrong but the fine tuning may be a pain. You could combine them below the tank and save some trouble.

Need an isolation valve on pump

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of going through bottom of tank go through back. No need for double herbie, will only make tuning harder. Have drain on one side of tank, return on the other.
Would also have tank return on dedicated pump, and put manifold on another one.
Also, a check valve on saltwater is pretty useless. Better off drilling hole fir siphon break

OP
OP
P

Pshopcars107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is already drilled and set up for the 4 1'' bulkheads in the bottom of the tank, I don't want to drill this to be honest, it wasn't cheap lol.

as far as combining the 2 drains, could I just come off BH 1 and BH 3, T them together and then down into the sump with 1 pipe and 1 gate valve ? that's the only way I see that working. if so I'll do it that way, one valve controlling both overflows would be awesome.

do we think a 40 breeder is a decent size sump? it seems like the go too size, then get a baffle kit online.

my return pump is fully controlled with the remote, I guess I could add a valve on the return pipe just to be safe though.

Thanks for the fast replies! I really appreciate it.. also the water line and sump drawing was just a reference showing my pipes under the water line to make them quiet. and the emergency drains I can put anywhere, should those also be under the water line ?

Kris4647

Rare Clownfish anemone aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as combining the 2 drains, could I just come off BH 1 and BH 3, T them together and then down into the sump with 1 pipe and 1 gate valve ?
Yes!
my return pump is fully controlled with the remote, I guess I could add a valve on the return pipe just to be safe though.
More to do with shut downs and maintenance than use for throttling the pump.
emergency drains I can put anywhere, should those also be under the water line ?
Traditionally they just following the regular drains into the sock chamber but like I said it’s not that big a deal.

40 breeder is a decent size sump? it seems like the go too size, then get a baffle kit online.

I’m not too sure about sizing. The only thing you really worry about there is the amount the tank drains in the event of an outage. Your check valve may help but you can’t rely on it.

Back