Hello - Newbie to Reef2Reef!

MLSReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - hope you all are well!

I'm new to Reef2Reef (as you can see) and I've done quite a bit of research on starting a reef tank - I'm watching 52 weeks of reefing for the second time (and probably will again) just to ensure I get started on the right track on this epic journey!

I was fascinated with this hobby(to some; lifestyle) 4 months ago when a friend of mine showed me his tank. He had a rimless 20g tank with radeon lights and such. I then started reading about it and joining Facebook groups, ect. and now I'm on Reef2Reef to hopefully learn more and get help from the community!

I know this is an expensive hobby and there will be trial and error but I'm uber excited to get started. I'm going to start my planning soon but want to get some feedback. My fiance was not very happy when I was telling her how much things cost but after a few days of showing her corals and all she was AMAZED by the colors and now she wants to get in on the build! :)

What is a good size beginner tank? I was thinking starting with a 90g or 120g but also the small tanks look nice

Should I start with the tank/stand first, then sump, then all the electronics?

I currently don't have any equipment, but starting to plan my build today. If anyone has used but quality equipment I'd be more than happy to chat. If local (phoenix, Arizona) I'd be more than happy to come pick it up!

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday, thanks for stopping by and reading my intro thread. Can't wait to show everyone progress :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R 90 and 120 are both good tanks to start with :)
Personally, to save yourself alot of hassle in the long run, i'd get my tank, stand, sump, and electronics all gathered up first before starting up the tank.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! There's a lot to read and learn on this hobby and Reef2Reef have all that plus many experience reefers that will help you with any question.

Last edited:

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the money pit, I mean awesome hobby of reef keeping ;)

I agree with above posts. Also, Nano tanks are harder to maintain for even the experienced reefer. The bigger the water volume the more stable your water parameters will be. Go as big as you can afford and it will save you money down the road when you decide you want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Oh and, keep up the research and ask questions.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R !

I would say the bigger the tank the easier they are to control in terms of water stability as you get less wild swings in parameters.

If you go small you will have to be very careful to monitor everything very closely.

And read as much as you can and enjoy the ride!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the R2R Community!

Looking forward to having you participate here at Reef2Reef! :)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

Can't add anything more than what's been said above. Largest tank you feel comfortable with. More volume = more stability (usually ) :)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R , 90g is a good size too start with but you’ll soon wish you’d gone bigger ... my advice if you want a 90 get a 120 ... and if you want a 120 get a 180 .. because that’s what you’ll think 6 months after you get it :D.. well I did .. happy Reefing !!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back