Hello...

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading your club's forum for awhile never posted. Went thru your clubs website the club meetings at Elmer's? I live on the oh (new springfield, ohio)/pa border, near chippewea. Like to join a reef club.

I recently just finshed a new 180g in the wall after a few years absence from reefing.. just getting back into it.

thanks

Frank

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good. Welcome back to the hobby. I look forward to meeting you at the next club meeting.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Club meeting is on the third Saturday ( 18th - in one week) of the month at Elmer's.

Thanks... that could be a bad thing meeting at elmers... lol. Especially since my tank is done cycling and is empty.. execpt for a orange shoulder tang, 1 small colony of zoas and a purple hammer.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some tank stocking!

20170304_125449.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forums and i hope to meet you at the next meeting. I will be discussing the importance of QTing new live stock and doing a presentation on reef tank pests. We have other members who come over from Ohio.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like an interesting tank - what are the sides made of?

That is my DIY 3D rock wall... egg crate screen with pond expanda foam (used 50lbs of sand per panel to control expansion). I had to make 5 panels. I run a bean animal coast to coast over flow so I couldnt do the back panel as 1.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. Black polyfoam. I've made backgrounds for other things with it.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tmp_tank3.jpg

There is a back view of the tank with the 3D rock wall panels.. dont have to worry about cleaning the glass on the side and back of tank!! See if I can find a clear picture of the inside (after sand settled, lol).

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tmp_tank3.jpg

There is a back view of the tank with the 3D rock wall panels.. dont have to worry about cleaning the glass on the side and back of tank!! See if I can find a clear picture of the inside (after sand settled, lol).
Nice it right next to your furnace. Couldn't that cause problems later on with the moisture?
Is that a actual rock wall or is it made of some kind of plastic's?

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. since we are looking at it here is the quick run down of my new tank:

180g DT w/ a bean animal in a coast to coast toothless overflow.
125g Sump (both from Elmer's last year's tank sale, great pricing!! :D) Sump has 3 compartments, 70g section for return water (were skimmer was gonna go) and water changes, 30g refug, and 25g for return pump. Easy water changes salt mixing station right to sump section with a turn of the valve. End of the sump I got a valve for draining, which is plummed all the way to my house's drain.

Start tank up with no skimmer, going the ATS route. Which so far is working perfect, my 1 and only algae boom during cycle was all on turf screen. Didnt get 1 piece of algae on the rocks or sand. Tank cycle lasted about 4 weeks.

150lbs dry rock, about 15lb of live rock
120lbs of sand
3 LED wifi fixtures for lighting

Tried to build a nice simple easy maintenance setup. Everything in the sump!

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice it right next to your furnace. Couldn't that cause problems later on with the moisture?
Is that a actual rock wall or is it made of some kind of plastic's?

Well.. that was the only wall I could install it in. Build a pool room in my basement, that wall was 18' long, the other wall only had 6' of wall space and the tank would not fit, other two walls the cement basement wall blocks are right behind drywall. Sooo.... that is were it went, along with moving 1 beam post and adding a 2nd. If you look behind tank, right of furnance... see the hot water tank? lol... luck there is room beside the furnance and the storage room wall to get it out.

Rockwall is made of Black polyfoam expanda foam over egg create.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. that was the only wall I could install it in. Build a pool room in my basement, that wall was 18' long, the other wall only had 6' of wall space and the tank would not fit, other two walls the cement basement wall blocks are right behind drywall. Sooo.... that is were it went, along with moving 1 beam post and adding a 2nd. If you look behind tank, right of furnance... see the hot water tank? lol... luck there is room beside the furnance and the storage room wall to get it out.

Rockwall is made of Black polyfoam expanda foam over egg create.
Well I hope it doesn't rust your furnace is all. I've heard horror stories of that happening I think it a easy fix with running dehumidifiers.
Rockwall looks cool not too many in the saltwater hobby usually.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope it doesn't rust your furnace is all. I've heard horror stories of that happening I think it a easy fix with running dehumidifiers.
Rockwall looks cool not too many in the saltwater hobby usually.

Yep there are dehumidifers running.. ductwork wont rust.. furnance internals.. YES.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back