Help — Manifold and Equipment in Small Space

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 100.3, which is three feet long and two feet wide. I converted the metric plumbing that came with the system to U.S. standard plumbing so that I could use flow sensors and other equipment, such as my UV sterilizer and an algae reactor.

I planned on plumbing a manifold off of the return, but my usage of conversion fittings and a flow sensor left no room for that. So, I decided to run my UV sterilizer and algae reactor off of a separate pump. However, I am still limited on room, so I’m wondering if I can configure my manifold’s plumbing in the following manner:

manifold pump - UV sterilizer - algae reactor

Originally, I wanted to have the UV sterilizer and the algae reactor on thir own taps with each having a gate valve and a flow sensor. With the little room that I have available, I figured I could save a significant amount of room and money by plumbing them inline.

The UV sterilizer has a recommended flow rate range of 79 GPH and 788 GPH, which is dependent upon whether it’s employed for Protozoa or algae and bacteria. The algae reactor has a recommended flow rate range of 150 GPH to 200 GPH.

Since both can operate in the 150 GPH to 200 GPH range, can I plumb my system so that the manifold pump will feed the UV sterilizer, then onto the algae reactor before going back to the sump? This, of course, would be managed by a gate valve and flow sensor.

Reef.Exotico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nickkohrn Did you ever make the manifold? I have just the Tank and I am currently plumbing everything. I would like to incorporate a manifold to be able to add other equipment in the future. I did come across your videos on Youtube. Could you help me with the plumbing lengths in the overflow. Primarily the drains. The return I should be able to figure out. Thanks.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nickkohrn Did you ever make the manifold? I have just the Tank and I am currently plumbing everything. I would like to incorporate a manifold to be able to add other equipment in the future. I did come across your videos on Youtube. Could you help me with the plumbing lengths in the overflow. Primarily the drains. The return I should be able to figure out. Thanks.
I did not make a manifold because I found that I didn’t have enough room when considering the items that I wanted to use, along with the appropriate flow sensors, valves, and plumbing parts required to make that happen. However, I did use a spare pump and silicone tubes to feed a UV sterilizer, which I’m currently in the process of leak-fixing.

I didn’t change the plumbing that’s inside of the overflow box because I didn’t find a need to, so I don’t have any dimensions for those pipes, if that’s what you are requesting.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back