Help: Alk reagent got in tank? All corals closed at the same time

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed a 15% water change. All was fine.

Afterwards I tested Alk using a Hanna Checker, rinsed the reagent out using a small amount of tank water and dumped into the sink. I then grabbed some RODI to clean out the test tube and dumped the water into the tank (stupid I know)… there couldn’t have been much reagent left, but ever coral in my tank immediately closed.All Zoas and some softies.
I can’t monitor the tank over night as I’ll be away from the home. Should I be extremely concerned ? All Zoas and some softies closed at the same time.

I cant do another water change until tomorrow

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add high grade carbon or preferably chemipure elite

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this tiny amount is any concern, and also do not think it likely that it caused the coral closing.

I have no idea what else could have caused them to close. It happened systematically after putting the ro from the vial into the tank.

Any other ideas what it could have been? Any recommendations?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what else could have caused them to close. It happened systematically after putting the ro from the vial into the tank.

Any other ideas what it could have been? Any recommendations?

I have no concern at all about the tiny bit of fluid that was added. It is just a little acid and an indicator dye. Neither is a concern, and I would do nothing about it. Water changes and GAC won't hurt, but are also not likely to be useful from the standpoint of these added chemicals.

I'm not sure what caused the corals to close. There are many things. I'd just watch and wait for them to reopen, and watch to see if any organisms are irritating them.

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no concern at all about the tiny bit of fluid that was added. It is just a little acid and an indicator dye. Neither is a concern, and I would do nothing about it. Water changes and GAC won't hurt, but are also not likely to be useful from the standpoint of these added chemicals.

I'm not sure what caused the corals to close. There are many things. I'd just watch and wait for them to reopen, and watch to see if any organisms are irritating them.

I've never once had a situation where literally every coral closed at once.. Which is why I can only point my finger at the reagent. I, unfortunately, am limited in my tests to only: Salinity, Alk, Calc, Nitrate, Phosphate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never once had a situation where literally every coral closed at once.. Which is why I can only point my finger at the reagent. I, unfortunately, am limited in my tests to only: Salinity, Alk, Calc, Nitrate, Phosphate

I suggest just wait observe, and maybe look for other causes.. You cannot detect the dye and the acid will drop alk by a value way, way less than 0.01 dKH.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your salinity, temp and ph and try to match new salt mix exactly to your tank parameters? How mong did the new salt water mix sit before you added?? I have a few zoas and shrooms that will close up and get fussy if any of those params are off during water change.
Usually takes me a day to get new salt mix params match up super close.
I also dbl check and calibrate my refractometer throughout the salt mixing process. If it needs calibrating its usually during new salt mix time.

Back