Help!!!! All clownfish died out of nowhere- other fish ok but now I’m not sure about my Orchid’s fin?! What’s happening?!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think they mentioned keeping any corals in the tank. yes as i said 99% of the time not working not 100%. At 10ppm nitrate (and if they are using api test who knows the real nitrates) i wouldnt recommend using the water without seeing their local tap water parameters from a government website because we do not know what they are or if they have changed them.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably why inverts arent doing well in the system as well

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably why inverts arent doing well in the system as well
Who is they? Lol this is my tank I’m talking about. And so RO DI water is what I need to keep nitrates down as well as make it more habitable for inverts?

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think they mentioned keeping any corals in the tank. yes as i said 99% of the time not working not 100%. At 10ppm nitrate (and if they are using api test who knows the real nitrates) i wouldnt recommend using the water without seeing their local tap water parameters from a government website because we do not know what they are or if they have changed them.
Nevermind I just realized you’re replying to the other guy lol

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i use they for everyone because its 2021 and pc culture so i never, for any reason, will use pronouns unless the person identifies themselves. Sorry about the confusion. cant be sure about it but i know invertebrates are sensitive to high nitrates and heavy metals (like copper).

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conditioner are you using? You should check your local water company website for a data sheet on what's in the water.

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would move to RODI water, get a RODI filter and use it. Who knows what else is in your tap water. Could be a lot of things. Even with your pipes could even be copper for all you know.

Plus as you have water evap and you put in more tap water you will just increase the amounts of stuff you do not want. Since that stuff does not evaporate out. So you start at maybe 10ppm and each time you add more water you go up and up and up.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ if the tank is small enough you could always use ro water from LFS or local grocery store or even distilled water. They are all cheap. I am just making a recommendation as we cannot speculate as to what is in their water, we only know nitrate is high and invertebrates dont do well in it. I always recommend the best water for our fish because it is hard to know specifically elevated levels of whatever might be in their tap water and if that specific element will affect the longevity of our tank inhabitants. I would personally rather not chance it and use controlled rodi water and salt mix so i know exactly what i am putting in.

eldouble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates in the 10 to 20 range should not kill the clown fish. I've had clown babies in water with nitrates in the 40s, although I do not recommend that. But as other have said, a good RO/DI is worth its cost. Our water supply is super high in nitrates (20) and phosphates (.5) , and without RO/DI, I could not keep anything alive except algae. But that does not answer what is killing the fish. I would try a massive, like all... water change with RO/DI new saltwater, and hope what is in the tank is flushed out.

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates in the 10 to 20 range should not kill the clown fish. I've had clown babies in water with nitrates in the 40s, although I do not recommend that. But as other have said, a good RO/DI is worth its cost. Our water supply is super high in nitrates (20) and phosphates (.5) , and without RO/DI, I could not keep anything alive except algae. But that does not answer what is killing the fish. I would try a massive, like all... water change with RO/DI new saltwater, and hope what is in the tank is flushed out.
Maybe not directly what is killing the fish but who knows what else is in the water. How much TDS? Either way using tap water going forward is not a great idea and not giving them the best chance to thrive.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be uronema in which case fallow will not help.

if it is a fowlr, I'd go ahead and treat the fish right in there

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back