Help and guidance

Stevesw718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, have a 75 gallon setup since Jan/feb, couple issues would like advice on. I bought the tank with GHA, didn’t realize what I was getting with the Algea until in my possession, it’s a constant battle, was told I have filamentous cyano. Will put my problems below as bullet so they don’t get lost. And include a video if I can figure it out. Currently have 3 fish and some corals, my other challenge is the goby, he might have to go since it constantly buries my plugs

I have two VIPARSPECTRA lights, blue 30% from 930-930ish pm. Whites was on 1% for about an hour mid day. Skimmer is bubble magus curve 5.

-constant GHA
-some zoas open, some not and die off. Algea hair sticks to the frags too.
-have a rainbow challice and micromusa losing color.
-have 6 torches, 3 recently added about two weeks ago, new have been closed for most of the time. Other 3 I have been opening and closing as the tank wakes up, the three older torches are from 3 different sources

For the GHA, I’ve scrubbed and syphon, it just keeps coming back, got a clean up crew months ago and recently added some pods

Phosphate 9bbm
Copper 0
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5, closer to yellow or zero

Salifert:
Magnesium 1380 or .08
Ca 475 or .05ml

Attachments

• IMG_4255.MOV
    20.8 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once algae gets to a certain point it's hard for any cleanup crew to keep it in-check. Yeah, you've got altogether too much algae (I couldn't pick out specific types, but I'd go off what someone else indicated if they've already had a look at it). A UV sterilizer will help reduce your algae and permanently keep it in-check, but you may have to do a lot of scrubbing, siphoning, water changes, etc. to get rid of the bulk of it first.

OP
OP
S

Stevesw718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
S

Stevesw718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once algae gets to a certain point it's hard for any cleanup crew to keep it in-check. Yeah, you've got altogether too much algae (I couldn't pick out specific types, but I'd go off what someone else indicated if they've already had a look at it). A UV sterilizer will help reduce your algae and permanently keep it in-check, but you may have to do a lot of scrubbing, siphoning, water changes, etc. to get rid of the bulk of it first.
It’s my chore every 2-3 weeks, when I leave longer, the algea clogs my drain and it triggers my ato to keep filling ro water.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my chore every 2-3 weeks, when I leave longer, the algea clogs my drain and it triggers my ato to keep filling ro water.
What are you running for filtration on your tank, how often do you change it out, etc. Your nitrates are low (possibly phosphates as well).

OP
OP
S

Stevesw718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running for filtration on your tank, how often do you change it out, etc. Your nitrates are low (possibly phosphates as well).
I have a eshopps sump, don’t really change anything, just rinse out sponges to the intake, swap the floss when it gets clogged or every two weeks

OP
OP
S

Stevesw718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated readings and did Kh

Phosphate 9bbm
Copper 0
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5, closer to yellow or zero
Kh 108ppm-140ppm, not sure if my drop count should be 7 or 8.. used total of 8 drops on API test kit

Salifert:
Magnesium 1380 or .08
Ca 475 or .05ml

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back