HELP ASAP - TRIDENT OWNERS - I have a chance at one. Should I??

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear what owners of the Trident have to say on this. No, this isn't a trick question. I am getting hooked up from a distributor that has one for me. I have had it in my shopping cart for 3 months and finally, I have an opportunity to buy one now. However, I find myself asking myself whether I should buy it or wait? The reason for the wait is I have a feeling there will be more choices in the next couple of months for testers with more testing capabilities.

I love Apex and have a bunch of Neptune equipment and have had my eye on this for over a year now. What do you think?

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES... They're awesome. Vague answer, but I really don't know what specifically you're looking for me to say

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, go for it.
1: People who do want it cant have it because of a huge waitlist from all major distributors. So some may not get one until next year despite signing up day 1.
2: It is dope, easy install, reagents cost less and or about the same as normal test kits, last about a month assuming you do 4 minimum tests a day
3: Allows you to dial in your dosing easier, tests while you're away from home.
4: Just do it!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES... They're awesome. Vague answer, but I really don't know what specifically you're looking for me to say

Just tell me it will shoot flaming unicorns out with a push of a button. Lol. That is what I am looking for.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, go for it.
1: People who do want it cant have it because of a huge waitlist from all major distributors. So some may not get one until next year despite signing up day 1.
2: It is dope, easy install, reagents cost less and or about the same as normal test kits, last about a month assuming you do 4 minimum tests a day

That is one of the main reasons I want it is because if I pass on it now then I might not have a shot at it again for a year or so.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My take......There is always something better on the horizon and you could be waiting forever. I waited and waited for the Trident and was having alk spikes when I was away from home losing expensive sticks. I purchased the Alkatronic and haven’t looked back. It’s paid for itself many times over. So are you having issues controlling the big three? If so, grab it and you will love it. If you are home all the time and dose manually and haven’t had any issues, then waiting it out a bit before you decide to see what’s out there is fine. We are always on a endless upgrade cycle, buy it now and if you see something down the road you will have no trouble selling a trident.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you bought it and hate it,
You can always sell it locally at the same price you got it for as used. Possibly even more lol its a hot item right now.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, go for it.

Well said. It just makes perfecting dosing so much easier. and if something is starting to go awry you know RIGHT away.

U

User1

View Badges
Only you can answer the question you asked. Do you want it? Can you make use of it? Will it save you time? Do you have a controller (Apex) that supports it? Are you aware of the possible service in 14 to 18 months (send in or DIY)? Are you aware of the reagent price vs. number of tests vs. order demand? What is your frequency of testing today?

Only you can answer those questions. When I asked myself those same questions my answer was:

1. I already had the controller and was not planning on switching
2. I'm lazy with testing. So on its lowest setting it will work for me
3. It is cheaper than other solutions per test
4. I am OK with the maintenance and it makes sense

More or less how I looked at it so when an opportunity to pick one up appeared (many thanks to people on this board) I did so and have been happy. It is showing me how my test and starter corals, and tank, are maturing while using ALK. Made it a whole lot easier to setup dosing properly than me trying to do the same tests manually daily.

Everyone has their own limits and setup. If you don't have a Neptune ecosystem then there are other choices that may be worth while looking at. On the other hand if you have a Neptune ecosystem then you need to go back to the start of my reply and answer those questions. I think it will fall into place once done. If not, buy it and resell it. That seems to be the mode of operation these days anyway.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I understand the importance of the Trident. I honestly don't mind testing manually and with my Hanna checkers, it is only a couple minutes. I want to automate my testing for redundancy and ease. 4 months ago I didn't see other testers coming out. Now within the past month, I am looking at Reefbot, the new Xepta Abex, Coralvue, etc that have testers. Just questioning whether to wait it out for a couple of months to get a tester that can test more parameters. I am more interested in testing Alk, Nitrate, and Phosphate daily than I am Calcium and Magnesium.

I know, some people are reading this and thinking "this guy is an idiot". Just go for it. lol

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all convinced me. I just ordered the Trident with a reagent refill kit! Should be here first of next week!!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any posts or YouTube videos with recommendations that I should watch to be prepared with the Trident? Just looking for some pro tips that people have done that works best for them.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Trident !!!
I have had 0 problems with mine.

Is it plug and play as they say? I have seen some posts with people that had issues calibrating, etc. Just looking to read up on anything so I am ready when the Unicorn gets here.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it plug and play as they say? I have seen some posts with people that had issues calibrating, etc. Just looking to read up on anything so I am ready when the Unicorn gets here.
Plug and play some what they have a video on the Trident setup ( Trident initial setup ). It's really easy to set up. And as far calibrate what a few days prior of testing.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will have video directions.
IMG_20190919_105234054.jpg

U

User1

View Badges

It is plug and play.

You can watch the installation video today on Neptunes portal. That is what I did before I unboxed mine. At least this way I had an idea of what to do prior to. It really is easy to do and took less than 30 minutes.

Calibration - the instructions say to wait for 72 or more hours. Maybe it was 48 - 72. In any case I waited a week as I didn't see a need to rush.

Also if you haven't done so update the Apex OS prior to trident installation.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug and play some what they have a video on the Trident setup ( Trident initial setup ). It's really easy to set up. And as far calibrate what a few days prior of testing.

Cool. thank you! I cannot wait!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back