Help!!!!!! ATO just pumped 8 gal kalk into 90 gal

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So luckily I was home and heard the alar go off. My ATO just emptied into my tank….mixed reed salinity normally right at .026 or just under. So salinity dropped to .024, but my biggest concern is all the kalk being dumped in. I’m already making water, but that’s gonna take a while. I removed about 5 gal, added salt, now adding that back slowly to raise salinity back up. Kinda freaking out ….any ideas????

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So luckily I was home and heard the alar go off. My ATO just emptied into my tank….mixed reed salinity normally right at .026 or just under. So salinity dropped to .024, but my biggest concern is all the kalk being dumped in. I’m already making water, but that’s gonna take a while. I removed about 5 gal, added salt, now adding that back slowly to raise salinity back up. Kinda freaking out ….any ideas????
Dilution via water changes. What species of coral are in the system and what is the pH currently?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested ph….will though…euphyllia, styli, monti dig, zoas, acans, couple leathers, Duncan’s, ricordea.
I’d just do some water changes. Most of those corals are pretty hardy. I remember Ryan at BRS had a Kalk overdose and nothing died. Not sure how much went into the tank, but it was pretty white. Sometimes it’s best not to do anything. In your case it’s quite a bit. Was the Kalk fully saturated?

USArmyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just do some water changes. Most of those corals are pretty hardy. I remember Ryan at BRS had a Kalk overdose and nothing died. Not sure how much went into the tank, but it was pretty white. Sometimes it’s best not to do anything. In your case it’s quite a bit. Was the Kalk fully saturated?
2nd this, I totally understand how long it can take to make that much SW but maybe there is a LFS that you can purchase enough to do like a 50% WC over the next day or 2 if you can't make it fast enough?

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a LFS that I went a bought 30 gal from. So did a 30 gal water change (it’s a 90+ sump). I’m also making water to do another WC either tonight or tomorrow. Alk tested at 10, didn’t have a b4 number. Probably dumped about 8 gal I figure. I mix my kalk ( 2 tspn/gal + 500ml vinegar for the entire 10 gallons). Don’t remember where I got that formula, just what I’ve always used. We’ll see I guess. Lots of slime coats everywhere so def ticked some coral off.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a LFS that I went a bought 30 gal from. So did a 30 gal water change (it’s a 90+ sump). I’m also making water to do another WC either tonight or tomorrow. Alk tested at 10, didn’t have a b4 number. Probably dumped about 8 gal I figure. I mix my kalk ( 2 tspn/gal + 500ml vinegar for the entire 10 gallons). Don’t remember where I got that formula, just what I’ve always used. We’ll see I guess. Lots of slime coats everywhere so def ticked some coral off.
10 isn't crazy high but that depends on what your number was at before the over dose

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tsp per gallon is fully saturated.

So you did the 30/G water change. pH is fine. ALK is fine. We don’t have a pre overdose number, but the corals in the tank should be ok.

I’d wait till tomorrow to do another water change. There’s been enough instability today.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me. Just do water changes and keep checking alk. My suggestion is don’t fill up 10g. Even on my 120 I got a 5g, when it happens it’s not as bad.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually been having issue with my ATO forever…always beeping for no reason. Will have to turn off, then back on, but never this. Usually it just won’t pump at all. It’s a Smart ATO. Guess it’s time to invest in a Tunze.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually been having issue with my ATO forever…always beeping for no reason. Will have to turn off, then back on, but never this. Usually it just won’t pump at all. It’s a Smart ATO. Guess it’s time to invest in a Tunze.
Tunze? I got problem with them

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been using that for close to 20 years maybe a little less, so long I forgot how long.

Anyway its bulletproof and I pull using an aqualifter and a 10g pale that feeds my kalk reactor. Cheap effective, no alarms bells or whistles, it just works

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine a 10% totally concentrated kalk overdose would make your pH skyrocket. I don’t think it added as much as you think.

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes what a mess. Hopefully the para aren’t to far off and some water Changes bring everything slowly. My ATO did this constant beeping for a while. I spent some time throughly cleaning the inside and outside of the glass where it’s mounted and it stopped. The optics inside them are sensitive.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened the second time. Come on Tunze! I am just praying my corals and fish be ok. what the heck.

Attachments

• 71A896DE-9A21-4677-9C63-849B7259A048.jpeg
    71A896DE-9A21-4677-9C63-849B7259A048.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 33

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back