Help! Banggai cardinal not eating.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two banggai cardinals a few weeks ago.
One of them is doing fine, really active and eating.
The other has been hiding almost the entire time.
It all started when, after drip acclimating, I dumped both of them into the tank. One of them got stuck to the top of the bucket and it took me several seconds to notice. This could've added to his stress.

He his behind the filter for the first week. He eventually started coming out more and eating some. Then, recently, he has been hiding in the back corner and not eating. He seems really skinny and his body seems very black. It is hard to see in the pic, but there is a black outline surrounding his clear fins also, which I do not see in the healthy cardinal.
Also, It's really hard to see, but there _might_ be some white spots on his fins. They seem extremely small, and I am not sure if they are actually there. They are not sticking out.
20171116_175833-01.jpeg

please help!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the other one bully it? Black meant stresses and something in tank bully it most likely the other stronger cardinal.
If you have a QT then I would move it there and monitor it closely but It's might too late if its carried diseases then pretty much all other live stocks already got infected just matter of how each one immune system dealing with the diseases.
Note:
For most saltwater species do not buy them in pair if they are not a true mating pair, you buy either singly or a group if they are community fishes like Banggai Cardinal.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the other one bully it? Black meant stresses and something in tank bully it most likely the other stronger cardinal.
If you have a QT then I would move it there and monitor it closely but It's might too late if its carried diseases then pretty much all other live stocks already got infected just matter of how each one immune system dealing with the diseases.
Note:
For most saltwater species do not buy them in pair if they are not a true mating pair, you buy either singly or a group if they are community fishes like Banggai Cardinal.
Just a very little bit of aggression at the beginning, not much recently.
All of the other inhabitants seem to be doing fine.

I luv coralz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might not have seen much aggression but remember your tank is a whole new world when the lights are off...

I luv coralz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just isolate him. He doesn’t look to far gone so I think there is still a very good chance. Just research some ways to relieve stress...

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just isolate him. He doesn’t look to far gone so I think there is still a very good chance. Just research some ways to relieve stress...
Like an acclimation box?

I luv coralz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but make sure it’s the kind that’s in your tank. The last thing he needs is a tank transfer.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171116_205823.jpg

He's not moving, and his fins look frayed. I'll see if he is doing better in the morning.

20171116_175833-01.jpeg

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to say that he didn't make it
:(

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a very little bit of aggression at the beginning, not much recently.
All of the other inhabitants seem to be doing fine.
I bought two Banggaiis and the same thing happened to me. But after spying on them for a while the one that was hiding all the time was being big time bullied by the other Banggai he ended up stressing him out so much he was close to dying when I returned him to the LFS.
I decided to keep just the one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back