Help me decide on tank size... should I go crazy??

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
heck yeah I have a sweet spot for peninsulas!
is that gonna be a reef or FOWLR?

I thought of making the RS 650P a fish only but decided it was to small and might as well make it a reef!
fowler poss shark ray ??

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really neat idea, never seen one before but that looks like it wouldn't be much different than a plywood build.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really neat idea, never seen one before but that looks like it wouldn't be much different than a plywood build.

IDK Seems more risky then a plywood build to me. but looks better IMHO
dont think i'll have the courage to try it but I thought it was an interesting option.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joe0813, I've heard of some as well. I can share that begining from Oct 2019 forward, I am not aware of any issues that equate to a nightmare. Lets be realistic. Every company will have an issue or two or many. How do they handle the issue? What do they do to rectify the challenge? Does the company blame the customer or take ownership? Does the company evaluate the challenge and try to prevent it from occurring again? We are a new and humble Glass Cages. We are ready to serve. Please see below.

Appreciate all the conversations and honesty.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:
  • Leadership Change
  • Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
  • Digital Production Tracking
  • Improved Customer Service
  • CAD drawing and approval processes
  • Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
  • Polished Edges are now standard on all builds
We are not stopping with these improvements. Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you better now and in the future.

Passion Rules!

Thanks for the info. I havent really followed any newer issues. You are right that all manufacturers will have issues. Maybe it seemed like you guys were in the spotlight since GC isnt as big as a marineland or similar companies so it seemed as if the problems were more consistent. Glad to hear that the issues are gone and now will keep GC in mind when it comes to my dream tank basement build :D

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOOO,
all this time in QT got me thinking...
I will be moving into a new house in a few months that we gutted and did a complete Reno on ,spend way to much money and over a year in the making so now that we are 85% done I got to thinking about the unfinished basement ....
I do have a med sized fish room down there with a lift station.

up stars I will have 2 peninsulas. a fiji cube 18.5 RFA nano (loving this little tank!) and a red sea 650P the will be a LPS- mixed reef.
BUT I have always wanted a butterfly and large angle , tang FOWLR.

So I am thinking about finishing out the basement for a media/music /extra room.
if I could get the GF on board I think it would be a great place for this tank.

So let's talk about the fish I want to keep or like to help decide on size and type of tank. NOTE this is just in the idea stage and fish selection would be based on tank size.

large angles
emp.
regal

dwarf angels
CB
maybe 1to 3 more depending on size of tank

butterflies:
a handful of these beauties like 5-6

puffer
porcupine puffer always loved these guys

wrasses
Harlequin Tusk
Red Coris Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse or scott

Tangs
Naso
Desjardini Sailfin
purple

so that give you an idea on some fish that i would like so a butterfly angle and tang FOWLR.

min size tank i am looking at is 180 -200 gal

choice #1 the proStar 200
it's a nice rimless clean tank complete pkg deal right around 2K tank stand and sump (I believe) all tho this is on the smaller size for a FOWLR for me it appeling for the clean lies and price tag. I would have to ditch the Emp angle

#2 planet aquariums mega matrix 310 2.5K for just the tank + would have to drive 8hrs each way to meet the truck with out crazy shipping to my door. I hear good things about plannet tanks but they do look old school with the rimed bottom and top. add 500-800 for the stand

#3 glass cages 340 gal 10 footer I know I KNOW GC had a bad tanks there for a while but joe from them has been on R2R and I think he is willing to make a great tank. 2300 + shipping + stand

#4 after reading @AlexG plywood monster tank thread for the last few days and getting sucked in to plywood tanks, this is an intriguing idea for sure.
i would do a 500-720ish gal tank with 3/4" viewing windows on front and 1 side. but after have nice rimless tanks not sure I would love it. maybe even more as it HUGE??

#5 wait around and see what used large tanks come up with in a 8-10hr drive maybe scrap the bigger fish if needed.

#6 custom make a acrylic tank myself. I have watch a few videos but it not cheap and man to mess it up would be crap. + they scratch easy altho I did have a GC 240 years ago but i was so new to reefing what the heck did i know.

what ever i get would have to be moved in to the basement not an easy task for sure. guessing the 10' is out unless it's built on side.

anyway I would love to hear you thoughts on this. I know there are not a ton of FOWLR system out there but I think it could be a fun system?

this would not happen until next winter at the earliest.

open to other suggestions...
really like your fish selections and w that in mind seems you already answered your question and like we say when possible go big or go home lol.but seriously sounds like a great oppertunity to build your dream tank thats a rare time to run across so i say seize it.happy reefing R

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back