Help! Biocube Leaking at the Lid

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in desperate need of advice for my biocube 32. I’ve had it 2 years now. It initially started to leak at the front rim the first year I bought it. I used the recommended aquarium sealant, which worked for a few months. Every now and again it would leak again. It stops when I shut the pump off, but that of course can’t be a long term solution.

I wanted to save and buy a 60g tank at the end of the year but now it’s looking like I’m going to have to buy a similar size tank REALLY soon. First question, can I move everything from this tank into a new tank (rocks, sand, water, etc…)? I’ve never switched tanks before and can use all the advice I can get. Or is that a bad idea. What are similar size tanks that are either AIO or with the sump in the bottom that come as a package? Preferably brands that are known for good quality.

For those that want a better understanding of the leak, the water is dripping from under the plastic; from the front right. I’ve glued it from the inside several times and it always eventually starts to leak again. Unless someone has an astounding solution, I’m giving up and moving on to another tank.

I hate that I now have to buy another 30ish gallon tank. :loudly-crying-face:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I'd do is maybe see if the system could be run wiht the water level slightly lower than it is now. Some how water has to be getting splashed or pushed up to the seal between the plastic rim and glass then wicking water distance to where it's leaking. So the actual leak may not be close to where the water is dripping from.

As far as transfering everythin no problem. Start saving up water from water changes so you can fill the new tank about a third and use a small powerhead to keep the water moving. When you're ready to move everything just do all of it at once then top off the system with some new saltwater.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I'd do is maybe see if the system could be run wiht the water level slightly lower than it is now. Some how water has to be getting splashed or pushed up to the seal between the plastic rim and glass then wicking water distance to where it's leaking. So the actual leak may not be close to where the water is dripping from.

As far as transfering everythin no problem. Start saving up water from water changes so you can fill the new tank about a third and use a small powerhead to keep the water moving. When you're ready to move everything just do all of it at once then top off the system with some new saltwater.
Unfortunately, the water level only drops in the back of the tank\chambers when the pump is running. The front where the fish are is always level.

I currently have the pump off and don’t know what I’m going to do. I never thought I’d have to consider an emergency tank. Thanks for your answer as well on transferring to a new tank.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a pinch you could go get a 40 breeder from Petco they’re almost always on sale for cheap and it’s big enough to transfer everything over. It would work for the time being until you can afford the tank you really want.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can the sand be transferred as well or is that a bad idea?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's cleaned with saltwater. Most aquarist chosoe to just replace it. You can but 2-3 inches in a bucket and a couple cgallons of water, stir well and dump the water, rpeat 2 or 3 times.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back