HELP: Blue Hippo Tang suffering cyclic white spots

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, Have a question... i have a hippo blue tang and it keeps getting white spots on a monthly cycle. And it will recover after a few days where it will be spotless. During these period, it still looks normal and eating well.

During the last event - a few days ago - the small white spots became like bumps under the skin like pimples. And after a few more days it became light brownish in color... and after a few days it seemed gone away. Sandly, I had not taken any pics (will remember to do it next time).

I don't want to loose this beautiful tang and wondering what i should be doing? Unfortunately, i don't have a QT. Thanks in advance.

20210206_134444.jpg 20210206_134009.jpg 20210206_133937.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to tell you for sure since the photos are spotless (grin). Two possibilities come to mind:

1) It is idiopathic mucus that tangs get, I discuss that here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

2) You are in what is called "ich management mode" - your fish have ich, but it isn't an acute case, so it comes and goes chronically. Fish can go quite some time in this fashion - eventually though, the parasite either goes away, or some stressor brings out it acutely and the fish gets ill from it.

Jay

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to tell you for sure since the photos are spotless (grin). Two possibilities come to mind:

1) It is idiopathic mucus that tangs get, I discuss that here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

2) You are in what is called "ich management mode" - your fish have ich, but it isn't an acute case, so it comes and goes chronically. Fish can go quite some time in this fashion - eventually though, the parasite either goes away, or some stressor brings out it acutely and the fish gets ill from it.

Jay
Thanks for the pointers Jay, very helpful as usual.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack. I experienced occasional ich manifestations when the tank was younger. Primarily on the hippo tang after a water change. It would be very minor, and last a few days and go away. I haven't seen any visible signs of ich in at least 2 years (probably closer to 3). Does this mean that it has died away, or can it keep living for years without any visible signs of the adult stage manifesting? I have reconciled myself to the idea that ich will always be present in the tank, but is it possible that over time it has managed to die off?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 114 58.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.6%
Back