Help!! Blue Tang White Spots

Reefer_710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, didn’t notice these white spots all over my blue tang yesterday.
Not sure on current parameters need to retest ASAP.
It was fine yesterday, my lights turn on at 3pm. When they turned on recently I noticed/ thought my mandarin fish look a bit skinny so I thought to add tigger pods and directions say (have lights off) so I turned it off for a few minutes and my blue tang went hiding where it usually sleeps. Could I have caused it stress and triggered itch that fast? :(

38E3368C-4195-480C-A636-6E5EBD3E4302.png

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tangs always get ick...

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, didn’t notice these white spots all over my blue tang yesterday.
Not sure on current parameters need to retest ASAP.
It was fine yesterday, my lights turn on at 3pm. When they turned on recently I noticed/ thought my mandarin fish look a bit skinny so I thought to add tigger pods and directions say (have lights off) so I turned it off for a few minutes and my blue tang went hiding where it usually sleeps. Could I have caused it stress and triggered itch that fast? :(

38E3368C-4195-480C-A636-6E5EBD3E4302.png
Do you have a QT setup so you can treat your fish with copper?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots suddenly appearing that quickly are generally velvet. Ich is slower to progress. I’d remove and treat in a quarantine with copper power for 30 days ASAP. Any other fish in the same system will need to be treated as well.

In the quarantine, I recommend an ammonia alert badge and a Hanna checker for monitoring copper levels. Biospira for bacteria and cycling so ammonia doesn’t kill the fish.

Sorry for the trouble, very common, unfortunately.

OP
OP
R

Reefer_710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots suddenly appearing that quickly are generally velvet. Ich is slower to progress. I’d remove and treat in a quarantine with copper power for 30 days ASAP. Any other fish in the same system will need to be treated as well.

In the quarantine, I recommend an ammonia alert badge and a Hanna checker for monitoring copper levels. Biospira for bacteria and cycling so ammonia doesn’t kill the fish.

Sorry for the trouble, very common, unfortunately.
In order to have a quarantine tank would I have to get a tank and cycle that water for at least a week or longer? Or can I put them on the quarantine tank right away? Thanks for all the help and info

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to have a quarantine tank would I have to get a tank and cycle that water for at least a week or longer? Or can I put them on the quarantine tank right away? Thanks for all the help and info

No, the biospira is like an instant cycle but you’ll want the ammonia badge to keep an eye on ammonia and you will be doing regular WC’s. I usually do a WC every 3-4 days in QT anyways.

OP
OP
R

Reefer_710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ thank you both for your help.
Update. My lfs I bought it from wouldn’t take it back, ended up doing a dip for me, took it back home, it was doing better but since we have a 13.5gal we felt bad and knew it was going to happen again because of a small tank. So I offered it to my other lfs (coral store) and they took it, took care of it and is doing much better in their bigger tank/ frag tanks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back