Help bought Red Sea Reefer 750XXL with no plumbing...

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is without all the original Red Sea parts (except for the return nozzle in the overflow box) and working with metric plumbing in Australia what plumbing can I substitute...has anyone done something similar? like what size bulkheads and plumbing (in mm) do I need.

is it possible to plumb the overflow etc without all the original parts?

thanks a lot :) :)

D698F53A-5851-4FD5-BEF1-499A21C002AA.jpeg 718DE6F3-2919-4D33-AAF1-65ABFC72C2A6.jpeg

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase bushings to convert plumbing to / from metric. Find them o. BRS if that's available by you and if not I'm sure you can find a local supplier. Than simply just build out the plumbing that works for you

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase bushings to convert plumbing to / from metric. Find them o. BRS if that's available by you and if not I'm sure you can find a local supplier. Than simply just build out the plumbing that works for you
I live in Australia so not too sure about purchasing things from BRS, but do you think I’ll need any original Red Sea parts or is it DIY compatible

cheers

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts here:

How to modify plumbing here:

I would get the pipes that are designed to fit in the overflow then use what is in the article above to modify and pipe the bottom.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not an Australia site, that’s the trouble I’m having, does brs or any other sites like that ship internationally?
thanks for the insight

AJTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the original plumbing including the plastic holder at the bottom of the overflow and replaced with regular bulkheads. Did it on a rsr250. The plastic at the bottom of the overflow is held together by 3 nuts at the bottom and gobs of silicone. It was a pain to do it especially with the tight size of the overflow. Used a dremel with a small steel circular blade to cut the plastic off and remove the silicone using blades. Not sure if you want to go this route, but an option.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts here:

How to modify plumbing here:

I would get the pipes that are designed to fit in the overflow then use what is in the article above to modify and pipe the bottom.
Heck you folks in Aus probably use Metric PVC anyway don’t you?

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you have multiple options:
a) your LFS is probably a Red sea affiliate and Red sea sells replacement parts. get a whole piping set ... though expensive.
b) Ask your lfs if they would be willing to make the piping for you.
c) ask a plumber if they would be willing to make a piping for you.
d) measure your holes, find a local pvc piping shop/supplier (I buy mine straight from a warehouse) buy and glue it your self. it is not hard and we are not plumbing a high pressure system here.
the only problem part will probably be the bulk heads. I had to get a set for my tank from Amazon (I did not want fat bulkheads but low pressure and compact ones aka for for hiole/pipe combo that is 1 size larger - high pressure ones are 2 size bigger ie.: requires 50mm drilled hole for 32mm pipe - I got a version 32mm pipe for 40mm hole)

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didnt the tank come with plumbing? Youll have to use redseas bulkhead connections, you can modify the plumbing after that if you want. You should be able to purchase a full set of redsea plumbing for 3-400 bux. You could also remove the bulkheads like AJTX but that sounds time consuming.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you have multiple options:
a) your LFS is probably a Red sea affiliate and Red sea sells replacement parts. get a whole piping set ... though expensive.
b) Ask your lfs if they would be willing to make the piping for you.
c) ask a plumber if they would be willing to make a piping for you.
d) measure your holes, find a local pvc piping shop/supplier (I buy mine straight from a warehouse) buy and glue it your self. it is not hard and we are not plumbing a high pressure system here.
the only problem part will probably be the bulk heads. I had to get a set for my tank from Amazon (I did not want fat bulkheads but low pressure and compact ones aka for for hiole/pipe combo that is 1 size larger - high pressure ones are 2 size bigger ie.: requires 50mm drilled hole for 32mm pipe - I got a version 32mm pipe for 40mm hole)
Yeah I’ve looked at buying red seas plumbing and sourcing the parts for this model is less common then the smaller models and def in the $$$’s for all parts. Probably go to a local plumbing supplier

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bulkheads are custom made by red sea so fittings be at the local plumbing supplier. Why didnt your setup come with the plumbing kit?

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bulkheads are custom made by red sea so fittings be at the local plumbing supplier. Why didnt your setup come with the plumbing kit?
I’m buying this tank second hand for a bargain price. I’m sure my legs could probably contact a Red Sea supplier in Australia and ask for those particular pieces but I’m just seeing what other there are to plumb the tank since it will be very costly

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful buying this tank second hand for a bargain price, there is a reason its cheap and not including the plumbing. There are lots of problems with redsea tanks and stands and this might have had a problem and thats why they are selling it but keeping the plumbing. How does the silicone look in the middle bottom by the dolley?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back