Help brainstorming mangrove, lagoon and twilight zone exhibits!

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

We are reopening The Maritime Museum & Aquarium late 2022(with a brand new Aquarium!) and are doing research on different habitats that we would like to show in our exhibit, and use in our education. So I would be grateful for any input and ideas on species, habitats and scaping the tanks. Pictures as examples are great help!

Here are the basis of the three tanks I would like input on. About 200 cm long, 100-120 cm wide, 90 cm deep tanks. So there will be no manates in the mangrove tank :)
The geografic part of the Ocean we like to exhibit is The Coral Triangle(Indonesia, Philippines and that area). Water quality we got covered and temperatures we can adjust how we want. The tanks will be in a wall, so they can only be seen from the front window. That will give us the oppertunity to play around with backgrounds/light boxes/coloured back widows ect.

The three biotops we are looking into are:
- A clear water mangrove biotop
- A lagoon inside a coral reef
- The twilight zone down below a coral reef

So hit me with ideas, examples and pictures!!

Thanks in advance! :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing some research for indo pacific sea grass species i found this page with a whole list. Good stuff. I already have some ideas :)

U

User1

View Badges
Hi,

We are reopening The Maritime Museum & Aquarium late 2022(with a brand new Aquarium!) and are doing research on different habitats that we would like to show in our exhibit, and use in our education. So I would be grateful for any input and ideas on species, habitats and scaping the tanks. Pictures as examples are great help!

Here are the basis of the three tanks I would like input on. About 200 cm long, 100-120 cm wide, 90 cm deep tanks. So there will be no manates in the mangrove tank :)
The geografic part of the Ocean we like to exhibit is The Coral Triangle(Indonesia, Philippines and that area). Water quality we got covered and temperatures we can adjust how we want. The tanks will be in a wall, so they can only be seen from the front window. That will give us the oppertunity to play around with backgrounds/light boxes/coloured back widows ect.

The three biotops we are looking into are:
- A clear water mangrove biotop
- A lagoon inside a coral reef
- The twilight zone down below a coral reef

So hit me with ideas, examples and pictures!!

Thanks in advance! :)

/ David

Time to pack up the scuba gear and do some diving. Best way to see those different biotypes :) In any case best bet is to do as you are already doing. Get information be it here, other forums, and video searches from other divers around the world. The challenge is taking what you see and applying it to our specific size and/or foot print of space. Sounds fun never the less.

WWC has a lagoon build starting. While I like what they do some of the corals look unnatural to me. This is just a issue I have as an active scuba diver and real world coral color at depts are different. Still - check it out and ask them some questions. They are friendly and have a nice display going on.

U

User1

View Badges
Forgot to add check out the various public aquariums online videos. I forget if Monterey has a lagoon reef or two tanks being soft and mixed. Atlanta may also have online videos of theirs.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to pack up the scuba gear and do some diving. Best way to see those different biotypes :) In any case best bet is to do as you are already doing. Get information be it here, other forums, and video searches from other divers around the world. The challenge is taking what you see and applying it to our specific size and/or foot print of space. Sounds fun never the less.

WWC has a lagoon build starting. While I like what they do some of the corals look unnatural to me. This is just a issue I have as an active scuba diver and real world coral color at depts are different. Still - check it out and ask them some questions. They are friendly and have a nice display going on.

Yes, a site study would be the best :D

The WWC lagoon tank is a really cool project! My home tank back in the days had the same form, but much much smaller :) I appreciate all tanks that goes away from the regular shapes and try something new.
I agree on the unnatural look. Even if it migh be fun to play around with lots of species and blue lights, we will try to create something that look more like nature(so not that much colours I think :)). But they put in some effort hiding the pumps! And the mangrove trees were a cool addition. We have a couple of mangrove trees, but unfortunately in these displays you will only see whats under the surface. We might use them just for having live roots in the display tank.
I will follow that thread. Thanks!

Back