Help bristletooth tang laying on the sand bed next to rock

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bristletooth tang started laying on the sand bed about a hour ago its 10:40 PM. What's wrong and should I not panic at it?

20210806_222125.jpg 20210806_221754.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, I’m just now seeing your post. A fish laying on the bottom is typically a sign of a major problem. Is it breathing fast? I presume it isn’t eating? Can you post your water quality data and perhaps a short video?
Thanks,
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, I’m just now seeing your post. A fish laying on the bottom is typically a sign of a major problem. Is it breathing fast? I presume it isn’t eating? Can you post your water quality data and perhaps a short video?
Thanks,
Jay
The was breathing fast and has been eating. I got my water tested the day before yesterday and the guy said everything was fine, just alk was low but, when I got home I did a 35% water change and then the tang started acting funny

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The was breathing fast and has been eating. I got my water tested the day before yesterday and the guy said everything was fine, just alk was low but, when I got home I did a 35% water change and then the tang started acting funny
Things can go wrong if water changes aren’t done correctly, but it could just be coincidental. The alkalinity wouldn’t cause this issue.
Jay

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water change was done as normal but, if it was alk being low wouldn't it affect the other fish?
Ah, I was typing on my phone - that was a typo! I meant to say alkalinity WOULDN’T cause this issue , sorry!
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok but, what would you think caused the problem?
I really cannot say, not enough to go on. Perhaps if you post a short video of the fish I might see some clues….
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really cannot say, not enough to go on. Perhaps if you post a short video of the fish I might see some clues….
Jay
I should of video it but, how would act was he'll swim around for a little bit then go back to laying the next the rock. He was breathing fast then in the morning hes breathing slowed down alot, and wouldn't swim around alot all. That when I moved him to a qt but, sadly dead in the qt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of video it but, how would act was he'll swim around for a little bit then go back to laying the next the rock. He was breathing fast then in the morning hes breathing slowed down alot, and wouldn't swim around alot all. That when I moved him to a qt but, sadly dead in the qt.
Sorry to hear. You need to assume it died from some disease. That disease can remain active in a tank for quite some time, so any fish added to the tank over the next 6 weeks or so may be at risk of the same disease.
Jay

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We feel for you....

In 2nd pic it's top dorsal fin seems rather nipped-up

2217533-a85609b3ef5b3cee5c0116e3f8b4ddc0.jpg

What else is in the tank? It seems like it was bullied and bit at and being put into territorial submission

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We feel for you....

In 2nd pic it's top dorsal fin seems rather nipped-up

2217533-a85609b3ef5b3cee5c0116e3f8b4ddc0.jpg

What else is in the tank? It seems like it was bullied and bit at and being put into territorial submission
He did get bullied when first added to the tank. Then the aggression stopped after day from being added. All that was in tank was a scopas tang and 2 clownfish. I'm always watching the tank. When the bristletooth was added a month ago, there was minor aggression but other then that everything was fine.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything else is fine they sometimes hide there when there’s no other place to hide because the scopas bullied him out of the other hiding spots.

If that’s the case it might died because of ammonia in an uncycled qt assuming you start out fresh and not with established bacterial population.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was fine till after the water change then I would suspect that caused it. It is very easy to cause a problem while doing a water change. Do you heat the new water so its the same as the tank? Are you positive that the new water was the same specific gravity?

Going forward, CA, alk, MG are going to continue to be depleted. You may want to come up with a plan to replace them along with trace elements.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back