Help...Brown hairy algae take over :(

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, We have a 65 gallon reef aquarium that is being over ran by brown hairy algae. Little over a month ago we took all the rocks out and scrubbed it off but now it’s coming back with a vengeance! Is there anything that can be done to control it or eliminate it without starting the tank over?
SG: 1.024
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0
PH: 8.4
Temp: 78
6 hours aquium light run time each day.
We have 30 gallon sump using miracle mud method and macro algae.
Thank you for any help or suggestions!!!

F2078555-78E5-4134-87D9-35C255B45434.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for a clean up crew?

Monti34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having same issue w a new tank I set up I remove as much as possible by hand w a toothbrush and dose nopox working well for me.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 30 small hermit crabs, 6 Nassarius Snails, 2 Picasso clown fish, 1 cardinal fish, 1 coral banded shrimp, and a tomini tang.
Seems very reasonable. :confused:

How well are the macro algae in your fuge growing?

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems very reasonable. :confused:

How well are the macro algae in your fuge growing?
The tank is 7 months old and we have pruned the macro algae twice. Do you think more or different type of cleaning crew would be helpful?

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try using the 3 day blacked out method. I personally haven't done it but I've heard that it works and it shouldn't harm your fish or corals if you have any

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 7 months old and we have pruned the macro algae twice. Do you think more or different type of cleaning crew would be helpful?
No, your CuC sounds pretty good. An Urchin of some type might help but they can be a challenge.

What kind of light are you running over your fuge? I would expect you to need to prune your macro's more often than that.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is dose nopox?
Nopox is a chemical you can use to remove nitrates and phosphates from your tank. It's basically a bacteria booster that causes bacteria to consume the NO3 and PO4 in your system making it easier for your skimmer to remove them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that would still work if our nitrate or phosphate levels test zero?
It can help. The reason your nitrates and phosphates are reading zero is that the algae in your tank is consuming them before you can read them on a test. Nopox would cause the bacteria to consume them before the algae can and start starving it.

That does come with a downside though. If you add too much you can starve your corals. It also goes against what you are trying to do with the miracle mud and macro algae. It is very likely your macro algae would die first.

I feel like the issue could be that your fuge isn't well enough lit. The algae in your fuge are competing with the algae in your DT. If your DT has reef quality lighting and your fuge has cheap lighting the algae in the DT will win the battle for nutrients.

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can help. The reason your nitrates and phosphates are reading zero is that the algae in your tank is consuming them before you can read them on a test. Nopox would cause the bacteria to consume them before the algae can and start starving it.

That does come with a downside though. If you add too much you can starve your corals. It also goes against what you are trying to do with the miracle mud and macro algae. It is very likely your macro algae would die first.

I feel like the issue could be that your fuge isn't well enough lit. The algae in your fuge are competing with the algae in your DT. If your DT has reef quality lighting and your fuge has cheap lighting the algae in the DT will win the battle for nutrients.
The light for the aquarium is the radion xr 30 pro. The fuge light is 10000k light that just came with the sump.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light for the aquarium is the radion xr 30 pro. The fuge light is 10000k light that just came with the sump.
That is an issue. A simple 10k light cannot compete with a Radion pro.

IMO you have 2 paths forward. Either upgrade the sump light so that the macro algae in it can outcompete the algae in your sump or go the chemical control route.

If you do decide to go the chemical route to control nutrients I recommend pulling the macro out of your sump along with the mud and replace it with rock rubble as a place to grow pods.

Well, a third option would be to add an algae turf scrubber but a good one of those can be more than a nice fuge light.

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an issue. A simple 10k light cannot compete with a Radion pro.

IMO you have 2 paths forward. Either upgrade the sump light so that the macro algae in it can outcompete the algae in your sump or go the chemical control route.

If you do decide to go the chemical route to control nutrients I recommend pulling the macro out of your sump along with the mud and replace it with rock rubble as a place to grow pods.

Well, a third option would be to add an algae turf scrubber but a good one of those can be more than a nice fuge light.
Thank you so much for your time, help, and suggestions! I think we are going to invest in a better sump light and see how that works.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your time, help, and suggestions! I think we are going to invest in a better sump light and see how that works.
Glad to help! Have you seen the BRS video where they use different fuge lights to grow Chaeto?

Back