Help!!! Can i quickly set up a quarantine tank for a wild caught seahorse i just bought??

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father bought a seahorse on his way home from South florida. And he, not knowing the difference, bought a wild caught seahorse. What should I do to prepare for it??

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father bought a seahorse on his way home from South florida. And he, not knowing the difference, bought a wild caught seahorse. What should I do to prepare for it??
To answer your title question, yes.
If you add enough of the right bottle bacteria, then you can setup a fully functional quarantine tank immediately (see below). The instructions are in the last paragraph of the quote.

Dr. Reef did a study on bottle-bac for insta-cycling a tank a while back. They found Fritz Turbo Start 900 was the best, and Biospira and Dr. Tim’s were runners up.
Dr. Reef said:
Few years ago I conducted a massive study here on r2r. It's called bacteria in bottle myth or fact.
We studied 9 or 10 different brands.
Fritz turbostart 900 wins in every way possible.
Bio Spira and Dr Tim one and only are runner ups.
Rest I found might be hetrotrophic ammonia sludge removers.
We use instant cycles in our qt tanks in between bleaching tanks.
Never had any issues. I use fritz turbstart 900.
Bleach the tank. Air dry for 24 hrs rinse and reset. Fill up the tank and use 2 to 3 times the amount recommended and release fish.
Algae is normal phase of every tank cycle that likely can't be avoided.

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your title question, yes.
If you add enough of the right bottle bacteria, then you can setup a fully functional quarantine tank immediately (see below). The instructions are in the last paragraph of the quote.

Dr. Reef did a study on bottle-bac for insta-cycling a tank a while back. They found Fritz Turbo Start 900 was the best, and Biospira and Dr. Tim’s were runners up.
Okay where can I get this stuff though

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d imagine you can find the bottle bacteria at a number of different fish stores (you can call around to your LFS and see if they carry any of the three listed as good above), but otherwise you can get them online at places like BRS, AlgaeBarn, SaltwaterAquarium, etc. You can also order it from Amazon.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back