Help....Can not seem to get the swing of this....

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the T5's as my many source of light right now the A160's will barely light the tank once the T5s turn off.

I will test the magnesium today and nitrates I ran those other test because I have the Hanna's. That is interesting about the phosphates from all the reading I have done people have warned me about going much lower and running ultra low. I do 2 gallon water changes a day.

Thanks for the input I will take what ever I can get for help at this point.
For some reason thought I read .45 p04

Following though that sounds horrible to return to after a 4 day break sry! :(

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am at 2 cups of GFO of BRS High Capacity. Should I cut they amount in half?

Yikes! I didn't realize you were using high capacity GFO. I recommend using about 8-10 tablespoons initially. You can test and adjust the amount accordingly, might need even less.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like I have something to do right now then. I will pull the reactor apart and add brand new media I will add 6 - 8 tablespoons and test phosphates after a week?

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not convinced low phosphates are to blame for receding lps and bleaching sps in 4 days though

Two small frags I can not honestly remember looking at much before I left but my monti has been in the tank for months and was starting to encrust on the rocks around it and grow that is the one that stuck out to me right away.

I will say that I have been bouncing between .04 and zero on the phosphates and that I sure hasn't helped the tank at all

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two small frags I can not honestly remember looking at much before I left but my monti has been in the tank for months and was starting to encrust on the rocks around it and grow that is the one that stuck out to me right away.

I will say that I have been bouncing between .04 and zero on the phosphates and that I sure hasn't helped the tank at all
Do you run the gfo reactor all day? If it’s bouncing between ultra low and zero then I agree that’s a problem lol I assumed it consistently tested around .04 but still curious how tank went downhill that fast in 4 days if it was doing good as you said

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been a reefer a long time. I believe GFO hurts most of us more than it helps. I would try not using it, but you can use very small amounts as suggested above if you feel you have to. Having said that, I agree that it may not have been the problem here, but a large reduction in phosphates every time you add GFO was going to cause problems sometime. Good luck!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run the gfo reactor all day? If it’s bouncing between ultra low and zero then I agree that’s a problem lol I assumed it consistently tested around .04 but still curious how tank went downhill that fast in 4 days if it was doing good as you said

Yes I have been running the GFO all day, and that is was I am trying to figure out. I am not and expert but the monti had full color it has been for months and I can see where it has grown on to the rock then then I came back on Monday so 5 days if we want to be technical, and the Monti was almost completely white.

I’ve been a reefer a long time. I believe GFO hurts most of us more than it helps. I would try not using it, but you can use very small amounts as suggested above if you feel you have to. Having said that, I agree that it may not have been the problem here, but a large reduction in phosphates every time you add GFO was going to cause problems sometime. Good luck!

I think I am going to add a small amount for now and test the water in hopes that it won't cause the phosphates jump the other way. Is there something else I should look for other than the phosphates and GFO?

I am looking to learn what can cause the problems and grow in the hobby but locally I don't have a club and the people that I have meet have been reefing a very short time and don't typically have any suggestions.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in summary zero phosphate definitely not a good thing, but while you were gone your reef tank babysitter might have fed too little and angel decided to nip at lps corals.

I’d agree with @goodReefer125 I tried phosguard once and didn’t use it again my p04 stays around .25 I just aim for > .3 at the moment

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in summary zero phosphate definitely not a good thing, but while you were gone your reef tank babysitter might have fed too little and angel decided to nip at lps corals.

I’d agree with @goodReefer125 I tried phosguard once and didn’t use it again my p04 stays around .25 I just aim for > .3 at the moment
Get out of my tank, my phosphates are currently at .25 too!! Lol high 5

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get out of my tank, my phosphates are currently at .25 too!! Lol high 5
I’m not proud of it though:( lol hoping to get a cheap Kessil grow light and try for a good chaeto refugium pods etc and rely on that “natural”. But nutrients easier to manage in a nano tank. The ocean is my inspiration @.003 : ) lol

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less is more in my opinion. Maybe take a look at your refuge system and try to add some more green plants to it to help with algae in the tank.

I haven't really had an issue with algae in the tank as of now (knock on wood) the refugium is about 20 gallons

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add even if phosphate was .45 that might not be a problem I think there are a lot of tank running anywhere under 1.0 ppm but if your saying it bottoms out and you added 2 cups before you left maybe that could explain the montipora bleaching
I’d agree. and less.
I’m not proud of it though:( lol hoping to get a cheap Kessil grow light and try for a good chaeto refugium pods etc and rely on that “natural”. But nutrients easier to manage in a nano tank. The ocean is my inspiration @.003 : ) lol
Naw man .25 is good. My whole tank does better at this level. And All I have is a eshopps 150 skimmer and a refugium with pods. Chaeto and chalerpra(spell check)

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the information I am going to cut back on the GFO and keep doing what I have been for everything else. I will test weekly still and keep and eye on the phosphates.

This isn't the first coral that the angle has went after so I will be replacing him with a purple tang hopefully next weekend.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really had an issue with algae in the tank as of now (knock on wood) the refugium is about 20 gallons
Did you have the GFO and the refuge at the same time m, initial setup?

Man, I’d ditch that GFO so fast.. I’d take out half of it and smoky take a little out of it over two weeks.. then ditch it completely.

edit: Slowly, not smoky haha

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have the GFO and the refuge at the same time m, initial setup?

Man, I’d ditch that GFO so fast.. I’d take out half of it and smoky take a little out of it over two weeks.. then ditch it completely.

edit: Slowly, not smoky haha

I have had them the whole time yes, I will slowly cut back on the GFO and try to eliminate it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back