Help choosing skimmer that will work on current tank but also on upgraded tank in 6 months?

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 75 with a sump. About 100-105 total volume. I have about 8 fish and feed heavy. I currently only have a few softies in the tank so not much coral wise plus I’m looking to get a way from coral for a little and get some fish I always had to cross off my list due to incompatibility with corals. In 6 months I’m purchasing 180 or larger aquarium to get some of those bigger fish I always wanted and turn my 75 into a mixed reef again at that point. I just purchased 2 350 gyres last week and I am planning on purchasing a skimmer, return, and sump on Black Friday sales. I already have the return and sump figured out but I’m not sure what to do about the skimmer. I don’t want to buy a skimmer rated for 200g heavy bio load and throw it on my 75 for now because I fear it may not be able to be dialed in. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation. I’m trying to figure out how big is to big(oversized). I was looking at nyos, deltec, reef octopus elite or the maxspect aeroaqua ad600. I really like the ad600 due to the small footprint and other features but fear it being so new. I’ve heard great things in my research so far tho. Do you think that I would be able to use it on my current system til I upgrade or would it be to powerful. For what it’s worth I currently run an ro Diablo 150 with a varios 2 right now but it’s pushing 9 years old so before starting another 10 year tank I’m trying to upgrade items I don’t think will last the life of the upgraded tank.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef SVS3-24. It has a thumbscrew flanged lid so if you upgrade tanks down the lone, you can get extensions to increase its capacity. In addition, they don’t use proprietary pumps so you can increase their skimming capacity by getting a more powerful pump as well. Lifereef skimmers are old school, very powerful venturi driven skimmers that have a very loyal following detailed on this thread...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back