Help! Chupacabra-Tremor Dragging High End Coral Deep Into the Sand?(VIDEO)

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and Gentlemen, we got him!

Been a busy last few days as I attempted to mend the tank back together.

So here's the story. Thursday morning my clove polyps on the opposite side of the tank were attacked. I didn't see anything even with 3 cameras on the tank. This thing is stealthy. That afternoon I decided to take out as much sand as I could, which basically started the process of destroying the tank. I removed roughly 90% of the sand and some of my rocks were very unstable. One of them actually fell over. The one that fell over I struggled with getting to sit back right. While fidgeting with this rock I notice some goop under it. I lifted it up to see a body of a worm hanging down. I immediately pulled the rock out got a bucket and some 2x4s. I let it hang over the bucket till the worm fell out. It honestly didn't seem to take very long, 5mins maybe. Once it came out I put the worm in a bowl for inspection. I got the tail, but I noticed I didn't get the head. This section was about a 1.5ft long.

So I took out all the sand under and around the rock that was removed. When I built the tank used egg crate under my rock to help with stability. I pulled this egg crate out and found the rest of the body and head wrapped around it. I removed him from the egg crate and placed him in the bowl. I think I got all of him out now. I lifted all the other rocks in the tank to verify I had no bodies hanging down. The only thing that has me concerned is the head portion seems like a pretty clean break with no wound, while the side with the tail has seen better days. Is this how these things break? As of this post it is currently still alive in the bowl, but not in the greatest shape.

Couple interesting things I noticed. My worm is mostly albino iridescence(most I have seen are dark) you can see what it has been eating and it appears that it been mostly feeding on sand as its gut was filled with it. Also I watched as it took this sand and spun a mucus web all around its body to create a sand sleeping bag. The rock had one sand like tunnel at the base, but it was not very obvious so no crazy tunnels for me like in others experience.
DSC_0837.jpg

DSC_0834.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

In total I would estimate this worm to be about .5" in diameter and roughly 2ft long. Smaller then I had imagined still very weird worm.

I hope this nightmare is over. I will definitely have PTSD for the next few months or longer. What you all think? Think there could be two?

Thanks again for coming on this journey with me. As many others have stated before me I wouldn't wish this thing on anyone. Back to cleaning up my tank and fixing my house as the mess/damage is still insane. I have lots of frags for trade now as well haha.

I don’t think you’re wrong. Eunicidae isn’t a family I normally come across at work. First thing I thought of when I saw it was Onuphidae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back