Help! Chupacabra-Tremor Dragging High End Coral Deep Into the Sand?(VIDEO)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kind of trap youre using will never catch a bobbit. They never fully leave their borrow so they wont get stuck in the container. The only way is to see it and catch it in the act. Almost always youll have to remove most of the nearby rock.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick update:

I have been using raw shrimp as bait for most of the nights the night before last I tried Nori, which didnt attract anything.

This brings me to last night. I had my first activity at the trap. This thing must be insanely smart or I am giving it too much credit you be the judge. The lights went out at 10:30p. From this point on I am checking the tank with a red light every 30min to 1hr. I did see one very small worm about 1mm in diameter. I couldn't ID as it was so small and a few seconds after the red light touch it retreated, which I am a little disappointed in as I had hoped the red light would let me view without scaring the creaters of the night. Did I get the wrong light? Before I get to the rest of last night do bobbits reproduce in the home aquarium? Those who have defeated them did others smaller individuals pop up?

Now on to what happened. At 1:30a the trap started to move(sinking into the sand and rotating). I was still up so I went to see the tank and shined the light as fast as I could in the area where the trap was just incase it retreated. I examined the whole area but, unfortunately nothing was there. I waited, but nothing happened. At about 2:30a the trap started to rotate slowly and rock back and forth. After reviewing all the footage nothing showed itself the entire night. I am wondering if this thing can see the IR light from the baby monitor?

Something I found interesting was usually the trap has all my nassarius and bumble bee snails interested in it all night long, but when this thing is there it seems like most of them stayed far away. Once it left they all came back. Below is a video that had the most movement in a single go.

I think tonight I will try the same location, but will set the trap with the opening facing down in the sand. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Intriguing! If you don’t get a visual, maybe try setting the trap vertically so the hole is in the sand. Maybe it would be more comfortable showing itself that way.

OP
OP
S

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kind of trap youre using will never catch a bobbit. They never fully leave their borrow so they wont get stuck in the container. The only way is to see it and catch it in the act. Almost always youll have to remove most of the nearby rock.
Agreed! Mostly just hoping to know who I am up against and I was hoping to maybe even get an idea which direction his hide out is. Both the Scoly attack and last night seemed like he was on the side of one particular rock. I may just remove all the coral and take that rock out see what I see.
Intriguing! If you don’t get a visual, maybe try setting the trap vertically so the hole is in the sand. Maybe it would be more comfortable showing itself that way.
yep that’s definitely the plan tonight. Going to put it in the same spot vertically.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Mostly just hoping to know who I am up against and I was hoping to maybe even get an idea which direction his hide out is. Both the Scoly attack and last night seemed like he was on the side of one particular rock. I may just remove all the coral and take that rock out see what I see.

yep that’s definitely the plan tonight. Going to put it in the same spot vertically.
Yup then a big net to scoop all the sand, move the corals out of the way as well

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have some large Mexican turbo snails? Its possible they are flipping the scolys over with their giant shells while grazing. Then the coral dies from the stress of being upside down in sand for a long time.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last video kinda freaked me out and I'm a critter person. At this point I'd be lining up buckets and tearing the tank apart. With a knife, tongs, and one of those meat poundy thingies as my friends. YIKES!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not sure about this i think you just need the head section but definitely try to get the whole thing
Eunicid worms were said to have no brains. Now science thinks they have multiple brains.
As this allows the body that is broken up to grow new heads.

Odd creatures.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eunicid worms were said to have no brains. Now science thinks they have multiple brains.
As this allows the body that is broken up to grow new heads.

Odd creatures.
neat, too lazy right now but will probably look up some research studies on this later this week

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a bobbit I’m surprised it didn’t finish off anything fleshy overnight. The one I encountered completely ate 2 scolys, 3rhizos, and a clam. I finally saw part of the head using a red flashlight, it was quick back into the rock. It knew I was there, either senses the light or some one trying to see it. The only way I got rid it was to remove the Tonga rock, it was purchased live rock, broke it open to see the monster and it’s many tunnels. bugger was long, very ugly.

OP
OP
S

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I flipped the trap vertically and my snails were all over it all night long. Unfortunately, the monster didn't show up.

I was able to get a video of the smaller worm I found the night before. Looks like a Dorvilleidae worm to me. I couldn't shine the light right on it or it would retreat. So this is the best video I got.

So I think Im going to start prepping to remove that rock from the tank. It has a lot of acans on it unfortunately that I will have to unmounted if possible. Once I get the rock out of the tank there are a couple different strategies I could try.

Strat 1- Dip the rock in a bucket with a high dose of coral dip. My thought is this wont kill off all the life on the rock.

Strat 2-Dip the rock in RODI water for a min or so. This may work quickly to get anything in there out. Down side is it will kill pretty much everything in the process.

Stat 3-Dip in soda water. Should be just as effective or more effective than RODI water. Same down side as RODI though.

Should match the tank temp with the dip? Maybe it will limit the collateral damage?

Lastly, if I am lucky and I see him right off the bat I will shoot soda water all around him and keep it hanging over a bucket to catch him in.

I will also vacuum the sand under the rock to try and flush him out if he hiding there as well.

Anything, I am missing?

Last edited:

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if you take the rock/home out and put it in a large container of saltwater and leave it for a while with no food.. i wonder how long it would go without starving.. or change the ph or salinity where it might be discouraged... it would stink to lose all the beneficials in the rock...
i'm so excited for the conclusion!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back