Help! Chupacabra-Tremor Dragging High End Coral Deep Into the Sand?(VIDEO)

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a bobbit I’m surprised it didn’t finish off anything fleshy overnight. The one I encountered completely ate 2 scolys, 3rhizos, and a clam. I finally saw part of the head using a red flashlight, it was quick back into the rock. It knew I was there, either senses the light or some one trying to see it. The only way I got rid it was to remove the Tonga rock, it was purchased live rock, broke it open to see the monster and it’s many tunnels. bugger was long, very ugly.
This is pretty much in line with my experience. Once it was completely dark I didn’t have any trouble seeing him. He did pull his head back in when the red light was directly on him but other that that he wasn’t that shy about sticking his head out from a few different holes in his ‘home rock’. I really wanted to be sure I was pulling out the right rock. Even though I was 99% sure I still started to have doubts when hanging that rock out of water but above some salt water for 24 hours did nothing.

could you clear away sand to expose the tank bottom at a particular area and leave something there to entice him? Would mean he would have to expose himself. The fact that you haven’t seen him is giving me doubts.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience after the worm ate the expensive stuff I went after it. My hubby came home to find me with a hammer and screwdriver chiseling into the rock. Cool looking tunnels but to find that ugly black monster worn winding in and out throughout the rock…heck no, it was out of there, rock and all. Pretty good when the hubby backs up and says no way! The rock and worm ended up in the desert, right or wrong. I also read there could be smaller ones so I decided out with the Tonga Rock. Wasn’t worth the possible outcome IMO.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience after the worm ate the expensive stuff I went after it. My hubby came home to find me with a hammer and screwdriver chiseling into the rock. Cool looking tunnels but to find that ugly black monster worn winding in and out throughout the rock…heck no, it was out of there, rock and all. Pretty good when the hubby backs up and says no way! The rock and worm ended up in the desert, right or wrong. I also read there could be smaller ones so I decided out with the Tonga Rock. Wasn’t worth the possible outcome IMO.
‘Heck no’ was the polite way of stating what he said. I couldn’t type what the exact words were but it was funny

OP
OP
S

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out this afternoon he went after my blasto last night. I didnt notice till the lights came on. In a fit of frustration and maybe a little rage I took the suspected rock out. I was very sad to see nothing obvious on it. Its actually two rocks glued together which of course broke due to its own weight. So now I have two softball sized rocks in a bucket of saltwater water. I hope the little S*@T is in there some where. Im making frag racks and getting my nice stuff off the sand bed. Figure Ill risk the stress on the coral for now.

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out this afternoon he went after my blasto last night. I didnt notice till the lights came on. In a fit of frustration and maybe a little rage I took the suspected rock out. I was very sad to see nothing obvious on it. Its actually two rocks glued together which of course broke due to its own weight. So now I have two softball sized rocks in a bucket of saltwater water. I hope the little S*@T is in there some where. Im making frag racks and getting my nice stuff off the sand bed. Figure Ill risk the stress on the coral for now.
If they're just softball size, I'd remove any coral you have on it and smash them open to see if you got it. At least then you'll know & can breath

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would break the rock up to see if it’s in there. Amazing tunnels, if it’s what I had it will be wound throughout the tunnel system. The worm we had was long and hiding in there.

OP
OP
S

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're just softball size, I'd remove any coral you have on it and smash them open to see if you got it. At least then you'll know & can breath
I would break the rock up to see if it’s in there. Amazing tunnels, if it’s what I had it will be wound throughout the tunnel system. The worm we had was long and hiding in there.
I agree. Time to break up the rock and see what’s inside.
Forgive me guys, but I really would prefer not completely destroying my rock. Its Pukani rock which I have had for 10years. I cant find any sources to get this any more. I would rather fresh water dip, bleach, dry out, or starve it out in salt water.

That said I think if the creature was in this rock it would be a lot smaller then I imagined, thus I think it may of eluded me. Hopefully I didnt break it in half or anything during removal. Also in doing research it seems like it could also be a sand only species, which would be problematic.

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me guys, but I really would prefer not completely destroying my rock. Its Pukani rock which I have had for 10years. I cant find any sources to get this any more. I would rather fresh water dip, bleach, dry out, or starve it out in salt water.

That said I think if the creature was in this rock it would be a lot smaller then I imagined, thus I think it may of eluded me. Hopefully I didnt break it in half or anything during removal. Also in doing research it seems like it could also be a sand only species, which would be problematic.
I think we should vote on it :)

I didn’t know that there was a sand only species (other than the really scary ones which literally grab fish) and it does sound like that’s maybe what you have. I think maybe this story isn’t finished!!!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s fairly understandable to not want to destroy some rocks. You could always stick them in a bucket of water for now and if another attack happens you’ll know you didn’t get it. If nothing else happens you could try one of the dips then.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say any of your approaches to dips may do some damage. But if it dies inside the rock it's probably not going to end up with the dead body anywhere but sequestered inside the rock causing it to rot/making a nutrient bloom.

Also on another note Coral Rx doesn't work for **** I would go the Bayer dip route.

Coral Rx stuns but does not kill a lot of inverts IME.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, I have pukani rock as well and if I had your problem I'd take it out and blow it up with TNT. Step back and reevaluate your situation. A giant worm is eating your $200 scoly and all sorts of stuff and the list is going to get longer . You could literally put 5 pounds of dry rock in your sump and have live rock in a couple weeks. I wish I had all that old school rock too but I mean if smashing a rock could end this now ...

do it jewish GIF

OP
OP
S

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year Everyone!

So this monster is still lurking somewhere in the tank. A few days after taking those rocks out he started messing with the round trap I made previously. After taking most of the corals off the sand bed it hasn't been able to attack anything yet. *Knocks on wood*

Since finding that its still in there somewhere I have resorted to making a new trap specifically for bobbit worms. I based it on this guys trap as it seems to work well in reality and the design made since to me. Also when reading the comments it sounded like some reefers had success with it in their tanks back in the day. Unfortunately, he has taken his website/store down so I resorted to making my own.

I will make a video to explain the trap at a later date if it works, but the basic run down is the worm has access from the bottom at one end of the trap. This end is facing down to the sand. It then travels the length of the trap to the bait on a trigger. When it grabs the bait a door with spikes comes down to grab the head/body of the worm. The more the worm tries to move back the deeper the door digs in. After which I plan to slowly pull the worm out similar to the guys video. Hoping this plan works in practice. I have been dreaming about this stupid monster all week been giving me nightmares.

Last night was the first night with the new trap in the tank and I caught this video. Seems like he is getting more bold which, is hopefully a good thing for me as he will hopefully go for the bait. I am thinking about switching the bait to something else maybe squid or sardines?

Last edited:

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year Everyone!

So this monster is still lurking somewhere in the tank. A few days after taking those rocks out he started messing with the round trap I made previously. After taking most of the corals off the sand bed it hasn't been able to attack anything yet. *Knocks on wood*

Since finding that its still in there somewhere I have resorted to making a new trap specifically for bobbit worms. I based it on this guys trap as it seems to work well in reality and the design made since to me. Also when reading the comments it sounded like some reefers had success with it in their tanks back in the day. Unfortunately, he has taken his website/store down so I resorted to making my own.

I will make a video to explain the trap at a later date if it works, but the basic run down is the worm has access from the bottom at one end of the trap. This end is facing down to the sand. It then travels the length of the trap to the bait on a trigger. When it grabs the bait a door with spikes comes down to grab the head/body of the worm. The more the worm tries to move back the deeper the door digs in. After which I plan to slowly pull the worm out similar to the guys video. Hoping this plan works in practice. I have been dreaming about this stupid monster all week been giving me nightmares.

Last night was the first night with the new trap in the tank and I caught this video. Seems like he is getting more bold which, is hopefully a good thing for me as he will hopefully go for the bait. I am thinking about switching the bait to something else maybe squid or sardines?

That is crazy!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be crazy but I keep picturing tieing some fishing line to some sort of bait or frag and maybe it gets swallowed or grabbed and allows you to pull it out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back